Paddlefishing.

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
What size treble hook is preferred for snagging paddlefish? This will be my first year doing this and just picking things up beforehand! Thanks in advance!

Black Cloud

I've always used 10 or 12/0. I'm afraid if I use any smaller the hook might not have the surface area to grab the fish. Could just be my imagination though.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always used 10 or 12/0. I'm afraid if I use any smaller the hook might not have the surface area to grab the fish. Could just be my imagination though.

I ran 8/0 in MT a couple years ago. Never had a problem with hookups or losing fish. I want to go back again. That was a fun 3 days of catch and release.

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you guys for the info!! I got a couple rods/reels and line last week, bought a mold for 5oz bank sinkers and made a bunch of them. Now to get some hooks and should be about ready. I think?!

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you are prepping your liver and kidneys.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I recommend a 10’ rod versus 12’ or 14’ foot rod. The longer rods just wear a guy out. Making your own sinkers is a good thing to do. We do the same thing with our group. If you order hook online, make sure the seller is reliable and sells quality stuff. A week before you start slinging, take a bat or stick and beat your ribs so they hurt a bit, then take some ibuprofen and complain how sore you are. That will be a good precursor of how you will feel the next week. ;) I,ve always said that Paddlefishing is not for the leisure type angler. It may take some work or you may be lucky as hell. Catch and release is fun as well!

Goog luck this year. FISH ON #$%^&>

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought 2 surf rods an 8’ and a 10’ to switch back and forth on if need be. Is 30lb Big Game mono decent for this application? Thanks guys!!

Black Cloud

I use 40-50# mono. Lots of guys use braid and say it helps get better hook up and get your gear back when snagged on logs and stuff but I like mono so I can break it on snags. I usually come prepared with plenty of hooks and weights anyway. As for the fish fighting, as long as there's plenty of line on the spool let the drag do the work.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use braid!! 60 lb plus. Too much snapped off mono where I fish that just makes a balled up mess on the bottom. That horseshit green crap they sell in Williston just plain sucks balls. I can't tell you how much of that garbage I've pulled off the bottom all tangled into brush and wood. Not to say braid doesn't snap off, but most of the time it breaks at the knot instead of in the middle. 'Course that's just my opinion.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paddlefishing is a sport for men. Get an 11-12' rod. You might be more sore but that's half the fun, with enough bushels of blue latte's you won't feel it anyways.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like suffix 65# 832 hi vis yellow,its strong and gives you added distance on your casts and the hi vis is nice to see where your at,since bringing them in you can be a considerable distance down the shoreline.We used 30# big game solar for many years,stands out like a lazer pointer in the sun,but dont get the hookset like you do with braid.
As for rod/reel I like the 10' ugly stik paired with a penn reel,the okuma(scheels)combos are a one season reel if they make that,the rods standup pretty good though.
I also cast our groups wieghts but have not found a better price on hooks than you can get at scenic,with the high water would probly want to purchase a gaff also.
Hopefully the ice jams move and the river drops,really feel for the people in the Fairview area,may skip this year if we would be adding to cleanup problems.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60