passport psa...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've got a couple canadian fishing trips booked, and realized i had to renew my passport... the first 1 is at the end of may, and after doing my due diligence, figured i had better expedite... sent it in, and had my old book, new book, and passport card (in 3 different mailings!!!) in 10 days... ;:;banghead

there's 60 bucks wasted... wish you could find out ahead of time what the current waiting time is like, but that's uncle for you...

dank

So you admit to waiting longer than you should have to renew then griped that the expedited service you paid extra for was... too fast?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you admit to waiting longer than you should have to renew then griped that the expedited service you paid extra for was... too fast?

no - what grinds my gears is the fact that they give no timeline, and all you have to go by is online information from people who have gone through the process recently (the intent of this thread)... when i checked, the timeline was running around 4-6 weeks for expedited and 8-10 for regular (i had 10 weeks)... if i had saved the $60, i would have probably had delivery in 30 days or less looking at how soon my items showed up...

i can go on amazon at midnight on sunday night and know when i would receive a 75 cent item with 3 shipping options - with the govt - no...

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ouch....this thread backfired quickly! Thanks for sharing your experience so others in similar situations know what to expect! Whiner ;:;rofl

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One can't possibly want the government to operate like a business. Businesses do what they do for a profit, do we really want the Gov't to begin showing a "profit"?

Granted, it would be nice for a few years so the debt could get whittled down a tad.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what it is worth I have never had a passport take more than 3 weeks with just the regular payment.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just got my renewal back, Just shy of a month on regular service.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't even talk about passports, citizenship stuff, red tape. Adopted from overseas coming up on 18 months ago. Still too fresh. Took over 4 years.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd pay 60$ anyday if it meant I didn't have to cancel a trip.

So where are you going?

have 2 trips planned to last mountain lake in sask - 1 in may for pike and 1 in july for eyes...

- - - Updated - - -

If your driving you don't need a passport. If your flying you will need a passport.

you've needed a passport to drive into canada for years... you will also need 1 to fly starting later this year i believe... the card works for driving into canada or mexico, but you need the book to fly out of country...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy went to Winnipegast weekend had a drivers license and birth certificate and had no problem

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy went to Winnipegast weekend had a drivers license and birth certificate and had no problem

maybe its just a sask thing then - have needed them going up there for at least 10 years...

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most of the Canucks don't seem to care much, it's our folks that get a little testy coming back if you don't have a passbook/card.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
birth cert proves citizenship, id rather carry a passport than a birth cert.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75