River is open....Well sort of!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weird year so far and saw the quirky fact that McKenzie Slough is flowing backwards right now which I've never seen before. .

I think you are referring to "Random Creek" over by Mckenzie Slough. It flows both ways depending on the water coming in from the North Branch of Apple Creek, not actually that unusual.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was down and checked the Meriwether's ramp this morning. They still have barriers up blocking the ramp and it looks pretty iced in yet. Doesn't really matter, water is chocolate milk...clarity has to be close to zero and lots of ice and debris in the water. Maybe next week.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fox Island is open for business! Four truck / trailers in parking area & 2 boats out in front of our place (north end of Fox)!!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best part about living in Bismarck is the yearly decision, do I hit the late ice bite or early river bite or one of each on Sat/Sun...no down time around these parts :;:rockit

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
River north of Mandan was chocolate Milk yesterday. Bright sun, looking straight down, couldn't see more than a few inches.

Last saturday evening and sunday, the water was at 13 ft. Currently just under 6 ft.

Water going IN to Sak on friday, 158K cfs. Water coming out, 21K. Lake will be rising quickly. Just hope they don't have to let the river be high all summer, to help out in NE right now.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah if a guy does go out the further north the better. Definitely want to be north of Apple Creek of the heart River to at least eliminate some of the chocolate in that milk.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obi, you better go to that meeting and tell em how it’s done.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is oahe is running out of room at this point and taking in water at the same rate as Sakakawea. Mind you dropping sak to 10,000 is only a 3,000 cfs drop over what it's been vs the 4 to 6 thousand that oahe is stuck at.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oahe is up 7 Ft in last 10 days, and can go up 6 more, then its getting topped out. That's a lot of water, and its early.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The inflows to Sak and Oahe are drastically reducing by the day now that the surge of local runoff is getting close to done. I assume with Oahe filling up and not being able to release any water because of the downstream mess, they have no choice but to reduce outflows from Sak.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The inflows to Sak and Oahe are drastically reducing by the day now that the surge of local runoff is getting close to done. I assume with Oahe filling up and not being able to release any water because of the downstream mess, they have no choice but to reduce outflows from Sak.

Did you come up with that conclusion all by yourself?
8410927.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah oahe has lost 36,000 cfs in inflows in the last 24 hours and increased releases by 12,800.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
on the west end, the ice now starts about a mile west of camp cherith... with highs in the 60's and moderate to high winds, it will move east fairly quickly i would think... main issue is getting the bays to clean up where the first couple ramps are...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67