Youth Rifle - Rimfire

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have grandsons age 7 & 8 that are ready for their first rifle. The Red Ryder has lost it's luster. Topic has likely been discussed before, but I am looking for suggestions for their 'first rifle.' Thinking a bolt single shot, maybe something like a Henry Mini-Bolt, etc. Also plan on starting with open sights. Would like to set-up a range for the g-kids to practice on, one g-kid at a time. Any tips / suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thx!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kiddo 1 has a Savage Rascal. Henry would be just as good.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a Cricket with a factory Cricket mill-dot scope. Grand and Great Grand kids loved it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
which color?

Started out pink, has since been painted a shiny Navy blue. Some irreplaceable bonding time can be had for the mere price of a can of Krylon and then the time to spray said Krylon onto what amounts to a piece of molded Tupperware plastic.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started on a brand new “Chipmunk” back in the day. Still remember opening the box with the little chipmunk holding a rifle. She is still punching out rounds today.

Last edited:

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My first .22 was/is a Lakefield Mark 1. Single shot bolt action, very accurate. It taught me the value of making the first round down the tube count because I wasn’t going to get another one. They are pretty inexpensive, not a lot of moving parts or magazines to lose. That’s my recommendation.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a chipmunk in black that you can have for free if you want. I bought it for my daughter and it worked real well for her until she outgrew it. If you want it, all I ask is that when your youngins outgrow it that you pass it on to another youngin for free and not make someone pay you for it. PM me if you want it and we can work something out.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my boy a ruger american 22lr. There are different butt pieces available so I started him with the short one but will be putting on the longer one this summer. It also has a tang safety which I like because it is easy for me to see what position it is in. He really enjoys shooting my Browning BL22 though. It is a little smaller frame and a blast to shoot!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely a bolt action and open sights. Nice to have a clip or tube feed for later on but make them use it with just one bullet at a time.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a chipmunk in black that you can have for free if you want. I bought it for my daughter and it worked real well for her until she outgrew it. If you want it, all I ask is that when your youngins outgrow it that you pass it on to another youngin for free and not make someone pay you for it. PM me if you want it and we can work something out.
You're a good man KDM

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my choice for the grandkids was also a chipmunk. Cheap, light, single shot and they could handled it well. DB

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Henry lever action, will shoot all the junk 22 rounds, Grandson thinks he needs a scope, nope iron sights first then the good old peep sights on the AR-15, then maybe a scope

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM,

That is an incredible & generous offer. It would also be a fantastic teaching / learning opportunity for our g-kids. Gratefully receive, gain respect and proficiency, and then pay it forward!! I will be in touch. As someone stated above "You are a good (and kind) Man KDM!! Thank you!

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM, If only my grandkids were in the state, I would take you up on it, if only for the story and knowing it would go to someone else down the road free of charge. My first rifle was an 03-A3 springfield with a bunch of WWi FMJ ammo in brown paper wrappers. Dad had a sense of humor. A little later he gave me a remington model 6 falling block. Dated myself.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76