Winter kill

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
While this is true, there's a pretty large disparity in the number of acres of each contributing to the problem. There are many, many wetlands in the countryside that look like a putting green in the summer and there isn't a house in the watershed.

Personally, I refuse to fertilize a lawn. Last damn thing I want is to have to mow more than 3-4 times a summer.
Maybe, but the over application in towns is way worse. Farmers have gps and rate controllers. We don’t over applicate. It would be throwing money away. When you throw a bag of fertilizer in your little push applicator and run around your lawn, it is not accurate and more than likely being over applied. Not saying you personally but many do. Same with spraying lawns. I’m not saying farmers are faultless but I would bet with all the recharging this year of sloughs with water you will see less that are green.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bacon,

Despite me tending to agree with you that farmers are cost conscious, the simple fact is that fertilizer is well over applied even in the rural areas since no farmer wants to think his crop has not reached its full potential because it was nutrient limited. Hence the tendency for it to find its way into the rivers and lakes not near a town. Application of fertilizer in the fall (in particular) is a great way for it to lie and wait for the spring runoff where it gets mobilized (also not saying you do this, but a heck of a lot of farmers do). About the only way to accurately put the correct amount of fertilizer on a growing crop is to do it through fertigation or some other form of incremental application. Putting it on when the crops haven't even been planted is a surefire recipe for enhancing the phosphorous and nitrogen in the surface waters.

There is no easy answer to all the problems of eutrophication, city dwelling grass farmers don't think they're doing harm with the small amounts they individually put on, nor do the ag producers who can't afford to not maximize yield. But overall, we suck at taking care of this part of the environment!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Coal Lake was disgustingly green last few times I drove by last year.

Must be all the yards in its drainage basin.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pipestem Res., 39 Carp confirmed kill count of where I could get to on South shoreline today from dam to just west of boat ramp. No other floaters yet.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pipestem Res., 39 Carp confirmed kill count of where I could get to on South shoreline today from dam to just west of boat ramp. No other floaters yet.
The way the game and fish talked it sounded like pipestem was a complete loss which wouldn't be a first for her.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went to Pipestem today as well. Did find some dead crappie by the boat ramp and they've been dead for a while. Damn near only bones left on them. Water is extremely high, well over the top of the boat ramp, they mustn't be releasing anything.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think they were only doing 10 cfs release while letting the Jmst Res drain a bit.

Coldfront

Established Member
If I install drain tile in my yard in town and drain into the sanitary sewer would that be better than letting the run off drain into the storm sewer?????;:;rofl

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I install drain tile in my yard in town and drain into the sanitary sewer would that be better than letting the run off drain into the storm sewer?????;:;rofl
My, some of you are ignorant.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
fixed it for you :;:howdy
Well, asshats like you want to blame farmers for every bad thing that happens. It’s our fault for no wildlife. Our fault the water is green. Our fault the lakes winter kill. There are many of us out here that plant trees, no-till everything, rotational graze, don’t have drain tile, don’t over fertilize or over spray our fields. Yet we are the problem cause you can’t shoot a duck or catch a fish. Who’s the arrogant one? I get tired of everyone blaming us for all the ills that are out there.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Happy Easter! I have relatives and friends who farm and I love them.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you’re doing everything you can to be a good steward - so why would you be insulted by those who advocate stewardship? It seems we’re both on the same page.

- - - Updated - - -

Please visit the Red River Valley where I live. Then let me know what you think of the habitat here and if local farmers are being good stewards. We’ll likely be in good agreement about that too. :)

campchef

Honored Member
Looks like South Bay Lake in south Bismarck has total winterkill. Cormorants and pelicans are feasting and maybe this year I won't get in trouble for dumping dead fish in construction dumpers. It's tough though with a Tika 22-250 dialed in at 200 yds and illegal to shoot. Yes, I do hate cormorants.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Heard there was some winter kill up on the lakes north of Devils Lake, Dry, Alice and Irvine. Heard that during late ice there was some pretty smelly water. Anyone see any winterkill up there or hopefully it’s just isolated. It would be a shame if Alice or Irvine winterkilled.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75