Winter kill

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If bullheads are dying its all over they are the cockroaches of the fish world

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some pics from the Jamestown Res today. Dead carp everywhere, didn’t see any other species of fish. Yet.
C9CE7944-2D1E-451B-B4A8-AC53D90D0188.jpgDE92C52C-F79B-4481-BDAA-BC6DE05E5F44.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the difference Dean? Honest question. Are commons more durable than buffalo?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the difference Dean? Honest question. Are commons more durable than buffalo?
Yeah buffs are not actually carp and are and are plankton feeders which is why you rarely catch them on hook-and-line unless you snag them vs common carp which are an invasive species from China and seem to have a distinct ability to out survive the Buffaloes which have a tendency to Winter kill for some reason. So when you winter kill and you start seeing northern pike, common carp and bullheads going down you know you're getting to the bottom of the barrel and you're having some serious winterkill issues cuz they're the toughest of the group. Jamestown res has a history of buff dieoffs so if all your seeing is them there's still hope but if there are commons too well then things clearly got pretty bad in parts of the Reservoir.

As for DNA for I.D. You would literally have to be blind to need such a tool to help you tell the difference between the two.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The kid said fish were dead at Shortcreek north of Columbus, wouldn't eat the live ones with all the farm chemical leeching into it

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah buffs are not actually carp and are and are plankton feeders which is why you rarely catch them on hook-and-line unless you snag them vs common carp which are an invasive species from China and seem to have a distinct ability to out survive the Buffaloes which have a tendency to Winter kill for some reason. So when you winter kill and you start seeing northern pike, common carp and bullheads going down you know you're getting to the bottom of the barrel and you're having some serious winterkill issues cuz they're the toughest of the group. Jamestown res has a history of buff dieoffs so if all your seeing is them there's still hope but if there are commons too well then things clearly got pretty bad in parts of the Reservoir.

As for DNA for I.D. You would literally have to be blind to need such a tool to help you tell the difference between the two.
Unless you are an expert of all things, including but not limited to carpalunge .

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The kid said fish were dead at Shortcreek north of Columbus, wouldn't eat the live ones with all the farm chemical leeching into it

To hell you say, all chemicals are non toxic and practically safe to drink...didn't you read the post on roundup

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
went to Harvey to pick up the gun I won and the gentleman working said G.F. came and did oxygen? test on the reservoir in town and she was done. 0 oxygen level? When will they release the findings? Or can you call and ask??

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
To hell you say, all chemicals are non toxic and practically safe to drink...didn't you read the post on roundup
I can pretty much guarantee that the nutrient and chemical run off from city lawns after a hard rain is way worse than run off from farm fields.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Serious question - why do you never see a whole pile of dead walleye but seeing dead carp is sorta common? I’ve even seen quite a few dead pike on certain waters but never walleye other than the occasional floater.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's news to me, I saw walleyes floating like driftwood by the narrows at Metigoshe back in the 70s

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well if my internet research is correct they are probably Buffalo (more silver) because Common appear to be yellow/gold in color? IDK, i'm not Carp expert and never want to be.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smallmouth and Largemouth Buffalo:
Native
Sucker family
No barbels
Bluish-gray to tan

Common Carp:
Invasive
Minnow family
Barbels
Dark yellow to bronze

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can pretty much guarantee that the nutrient and chemical run off from city lawns after a hard rain is way worse than run off from farm fields.

While this is true, there's a pretty large disparity in the number of acres of each contributing to the problem. There are many, many wetlands in the countryside that look like a putting green in the summer and there isn't a house in the watershed.

Personally, I refuse to fertilize a lawn. Last damn thing I want is to have to mow more than 3-4 times a summer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75