Automatic Bow Latching Systems

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
just move your jack stand forward so the boat stays in the same spot. Or maybe ranger trailers do not have adjustable jack stands?

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Yikes...A rig on a roller trailer could make this interesting and to some extent a bunk trailer too. Either way, the convenience would be great. Just being able to get the tongue out of the water to the point where the driver can jump out and put the winch strap on it would be worth it.
Don’t worry about it, before I got my drotto latch I would just drive the boat on the bunk trailer with out hooking up any safety chain or hook and up the ramp I went. I mostly fish alone and the drotto latch is a must for unloading. Saves time and possibly an injury.

defiant1

Honored Member
I don't have any pics yet but I just removed the v roller and stuck in in place. I used a floor jack to lift the front of the boat up to get it in to place. This is on a 619. I will try and get a pic and post tomorrow.

I would appreciate that. I did attempt to install in the same way you described. I moved the winch stand all the way forward but could not get the Drotto installed. I would need to move the boat back on the trailer a few inches to get the clearance necessary. So, any mounting pics of the winch plate and the winch stand mounting holes would be helpful.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I read this. Was going to order this from earlier postings, but have roller trailer. Maybe not... ?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I read this. Was going to order this from earlier postings, but have roller trailer. Maybe not... ?

IMO one of these on a roller trailer is where this product really shines and most likely what it was intended for. I have it on my 1850 Tyee w/ roller trailer and it has been awesome. I never rely on just the latch however. To launch, I back the trailer into water but stop with just enough room for me to walk to the winch stand to unhook winch and safety chain without getting my feet wet. Then back in the rest of the way and use the dock to get in the boat. Pull the lever to release the latch and the boat rolls off the trailer with ease. To load, back the trailer in to the water to your normal depth, power the boat onto the trailer until you feel/hear it "click". On my rig, I hear it click but also if I let off the throttle I can feel the boat roll back and know I have to try it again. I then jump in the truck to pull the trailer out just enough so I can walk to the winch stand to hook up the winch and chain without getting my feet wet. I know some people go up and down the ramp without the winch/chain hooked up but I dont want to risk it and it takes about 5 seconds extra my way. I fish by myself the majority of the time and I will never be without a drotto again.

- - - Updated - - -

a video is worth a thousand words... This is an older version. The newer ones have a longer handle that is easier to reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giQ6_By4yIQ

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO one of these on a roller trailer is where this product really shines and most likely what it was intended for. I have it on my 1850 Tyee w/ roller trailer and it has been awesome. I never rely on just the latch however. To launch, I back the trailer into water but stop with just enough room for me to walk to the winch stand to unhook winch and safety chain without getting my feet wet. Then back in the rest of the way and use the dock to get in the boat. Pull the lever to release the latch and the boat rolls off the trailer with ease. To load, back the trailer in to the water to your normal depth, power the boat onto the trailer until you feel/hear it "click". On my rig, I hear it click but also if I let off the throttle I can feel the boat roll back and know I have to try it again. I then jump in the truck to pull the trailer out just enough so I can walk to the winch stand to hook up the winch and chain without getting my feet wet. I know some people go up and down the ramp without the winch/chain hooked up but I dont want to risk it and it takes about 5 seconds extra my way. I fish by myself the majority of the time and I will never be without a drotto again.

- - - Updated - - -

a video is worth a thousand words... This is an older version. The newer ones have a longer handle that is easier to reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giQ6_By4yIQ

This is exactly how I use mine as well. Also agree that roller trailers are probably what this was designed for (all of the videos on the Drotto website are of a roller trailer)

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2299.jpgHere you go This is on a 619. Took off old vee roller and jacked up boat front, set drotto in place, insert bolt, tighten, enjoy the easy loading.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Drotto latch installed last spring one of the best boat equipment investments i have ever made on a boat. One thing that i had to do to get it just right was to get the boat back of the bunks while in the water. Had all the tools handy to do do a 5 minute assembly. I also went with the lug nut locking mechanism so i made an upgrade to the strength of the bolt that holds the plate in place plus had to add some length to the bolt to make the lock seat proper. Just an added safety precaution. Works perfect.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76