Illegal Badlands Bridge

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure how a feel about this, the guy owns both sides other than a sliver of BLM land that was already being used for a low water crossing. Hes probably doing less damage to the area and river with the bridge than he was driving trucks through the river.

It does set a bad precedent though and he should be given the max fine of $100k and possibly even have to set some money aside in a joint account with the BLM in case there are future issues with the bridge that need to be paid for. Maybe even a lien on his land or something as well.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't matter, he ignored the fact he did not inform the state he was doing such a thing. Like someone else stated, he's got money so he thinks he's high and mighty above everyone else and his shit don't stink, now, he got caught and acting like all nicey nicey because he knows he did a no no, but than again, he don't give a shit cause he's got money. I hate pricks like this.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouldn't the contractor who built the thing be on the hook as well for essentially "playing ball" with this guy?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm conflicted. I agree that the process wasn't followed and that's bad. The bridge certainly isn't very scenic, but, in terms of ongoing environmental impact, the bridge likely helps a lot more than it hurts whether it's directly through the elimination of trucks traversing the river through the water, or indirectly by keeping truck traffic in low-traffic areas. So, what's worse, a muddy rutted-up truck trail or the bridge?

Tearing it out/blowing it up are going to have more negative environmental impact that leaving it in place.

Gotta mull this over a while........

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thing was built back in '13. Glad to see the wheels of regulatory agencies still move with the greatest of speed

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly I think this is just horrible. Not on the guys part, but that he is being allowed to essentially keep it with a slap on the wrist. The problem won't be felt until guy #2 decides to do the same thing. Then guy #3. It's a precedence that's being set. Suddenly you have a shit storm, and if you waiver and don't allow guy # 5 to do it, you're being discriminate, and then your ass (the state) is liable to have suite filed. Suddenly guy #1 has to take his down because you're setting new stiffer regulations and backpedaling to "make it right". Like I said, whatever, the guy made his choice and I get that. The BLM and state are the ones screwing up here. JMHO

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sad something like this happened to such a scenic area. Can't say I am surprised, people are able to get away with all kinds of environmental damage in ND with barely a slap on the wrist. Not only should it be removed but Bice should have very, very hefty fines for ruining the public's land and I wouldn't be opposed to a decent prison stint either. The engineers and contractors should also have some skin in the game, there is no way everyone remained oblivious to the fact that this was built illegally.

Money rules in ND so I don't expect much to happen to anyone involved. The BLM will just land swap for some worthless ground somewhere and call it good. Some campaign donations will clear this up for Bice.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wonder how the contractor can start a project like this with out a building permit from the county?? Or did he have one??

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
So…bridge is up, probably beneficial however rules were not followed. In order to deter precedence allow the bridge to remain, open to public and hefty, hefty fine….like the kind of fine it takes to build a cactus garden….

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i cant beleive this is the first some of you heard about this.

jim fuglie has been writing about this in the dakota country for over a year at least. sounds like the BLM escape plan was to just sell him the land so they don't have to go through the process of tearing it down...

- - - Updated - - -

are badlands are literally getting raped and pillaged to say the least.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if he got the proper permits first. It's not like he built this bridge out in the middle of a field. This was a low water crossing that was being used by heavy truck traffic to avoid the long drive around. One of the trucks got stuck in the river and created a huge hole there. This guy needed to get to his land he owns on the other side. So what he has money. Good for him. I agree he should have gone through the right channels but he improved a already existing crossing. And it didn't cost taxpayers a dime!

On that note I will say the holding ponds and alpha field is a complete disregard of someone else's property. Kinda like the guy who wrote the blog did to get his picture.[/QUOTE

Where is the low water crossing you are talking about this was from 2010
4554464C-C192-4B8D-90D9-6F158078D23D.jpg
BLM1.jpg

Attachments

BLM2.jpg
Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with this for me is the premise of "I'll do what I want because I want to". Arrogant rich F. He believes he doesn't have to follow the same rules all of us would. Do you know anyone who has developed a cabin too close to the shoreline and been fined or forced to tear out landscaping? I do. Why would it be any different for this guy? There are ways to tear out the bridge without ruining the environment.

Anyone up for a protest? I saw one once and from what I learned we won't even have to clean up our camp! :::

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with this for me is the premise of "I'll do what I want because I want to". Arrogant rich F. He believes he doesn't have to follow the same rules all of us would. Do you know anyone who has developed a cabin too close to the shoreline and been fined or forced to tear out landscaping? I do. Why would it be any different for this guy? There are ways to tear out the bridge without ruining the environment.

Anyone up for a protest? I saw one once and from what I learned we won't even have to clean up our camp! :::

A protest camp?... On all that prime land, during deer season?....

If he can build a bridge, but more concerning the water pond BS.... on our land.

After hes fined 10Million... public needs tonhave 100% hunting access to his properties, everywhere, forever.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

The guy got a permit from the ACOE.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85