New B.B. set up

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know this has been hashed out before but from what I could find it’s a couple years old.

im looking to get a couple new Bb set ups this year. I was thinks no fun doing it on the cheap and getting a couple of Ugly Stick 7 ft mediums. The guy at Scheels almost had me convinced I needed the 7 ft moderate walleye series with the bait casters for about 180 each. That’s the combo price hitch was about 50 bucks cheaper than buying separately.

I use anywhere from 3/4 up to 2oz bouncers. What do you fellas think?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer a baitcast for BBers,, I dont think you can go wrong with the Abu garcia black or silver max combos, decently priced and good quality.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
I would keep your BB combos under a 100$ then spend the rest on jigging sticks or tackle. i have a few of the pro angler edition from 7 to 8’6” there 50$ and under. I bought a couple KastKing bait caster reels last year and they are very nice to use and have great drag system for under 50$. Scheels will have there fishing sale at the end of the month so you can wait till then for the extra 20% off there combos and rods and reels.

Good luck!

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ALWAYS use baitcast reels for for BB'ing. And to make it way easier, find baitcast reels with a flipping switch. The difference is the ones with a flipping switch work in a way that when you press the release to let line out as soon as you let off the release it quits putting out line. If you don't have a flipping switch, you'll have to turn the handle every time to stop the line from going out. The flipping switch lets you fine tune your depth way faster and with a lot less hassle than using a plain baitcast or a spinning reel.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only use flipping switch reels too. Near impossible to find new anymore

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ALWAYS use baitcast reels for for BB'ing. And to make it way easier, find baitcast reels with a flipping switch. The difference is the ones with a flipping switch work in a way that when you press the release to let line out as soon as you let off the release it quits putting out line. If you don't have a flipping switch, you'll have to turn the handle every time to stop the line from going out. The flipping switch lets you fine tune your depth way faster and with a lot less hassle than using a plain baitcast or a spinning reel.

I have one baitcaster (ebay purchase) that duped me on the flippin switch. With that one, I just spin the spool back instead of reeling.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I have two of the Scheels moderate walleye rods and really like them for bottom bouncing. Agree on the baitcasters with flippin switches.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found a used G-Loomis on Ebay for $120 and it's the best BB rod I've ever had. I put a real nice baitcaster on it. I also have a St Crouix I like a lot for BB.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
BB doesn't need anything fancy, you want a medium moderate rod and let the boat and rod set the hooks for you, I have run both spinning and bait casters (abu silvermax, the old ones) for me it doesn't make a difference spin vs caster, but I have friends that swear by their casters... as far as how much to spend, get the cheap scheels rods in medium moderate ($50-60 if i remember) and your choice of reel spin vs bait... for BB you don't need a super light reel or anything amazing either, just look for a decent drag pfleuger president is a great reel for the job, BB really rely's on that spongy rod to do all the work.

To be honest, I think the cheaper rods work better because they are so spongy like the ugly sticks but scheels will replace theirs every time your kid or drunk buddy steps on it.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since I have gotten out of the guiding gig I am replacing all equipment with high end.

Our Bouncer rods are always bought in pairs. Wife uses 2 Scheels One casting rods with Lews Speed Spool reels. I have 2 JT Ascendant (sp?) with Lews reels. Our back-ups are also in pairs, 2 AllStar rods and 2 13Fishing (cant recall model).

I don't skimp anymore because I am less worried about breakage of equipment and I also got sick of burning through a few Silvermax or Black Max reels each season (wrecked drags, etc).

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
BB doesn't need anything fancy, you want a medium moderate rod and let the boat and rod set the hooks for you, I have run both spinning and bait casters (abu silvermax, the old ones) for me it doesn't make a difference spin vs caster, but I have friends that swear by their casters... as far as how much to spend, get the cheap scheels rods in medium moderate ($50-60 if i remember) and your choice of reel spin vs bait... for BB you don't need a super light reel or anything amazing either, just look for a decent drag pfleuger president is a great reel for the job, BB really rely's on that spongy rod to do all the work.

To be honest, I think the cheaper rods work better because they are so spongy like the ugly sticks but scheels will replace theirs every time your kid or drunk buddy steps on it.

I have a few President Reels, and I like them, but then I tried a Daiwa Regal, which is also in that $50 range, and I prefer that reel. It is much smoother, and a better drag (IMO).

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/regallt/index.html

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many BB set ups are you looking for? I have a couple that I am selling. They are Fenwick 7'0' MF HMG Casting rods with Quantum Accurist reels with the flipping switch. Used 1 season and reels are spooled with braid. They work great. $120 a piece. PM me if you are interested or would like more info.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a buddy make me a couple of rods last year and I am not happy with them, too stiff. So I was really just interested in what everyone else is using, I have been using old unpaired rods for years and alway caught fish. I think I am in the school of not wanting to drop a bunch for bouncing rigs. I have a couple of new Pfleuger reels from those rods last year and I think I’ll look at the lower end Scheels or the Ugly sticks.

thanks for the input!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I had a buddy make me a couple of rods last year and I am not happy with them, too stiff. So I was really just interested in what everyone else is using, I have been using old unpaired rods for years and alway caught fish. I think I am in the school of not wanting to drop a bunch for bouncing rigs. I have a couple of new Pfleuger reels from those rods last year and I think I’ll look at the lower end Scheels or the Ugly sticks.

thanks for the input!

Berkley Lightning rods are a good cheap stick.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got some money burning a hole in my pocket and have found a couple good deals on a couple loomis E6x rods. One is a 7’ medium spinning fast for $120 and one is a 8’6” medium casting fast for $130. I can’t decide which one to buy. Mainly would be fishing BB and cranks

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75