Casting Slow-Death

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone remember watching fishing shows years ago where they stated a spinning crawler was taboo? Had to glide through the water with no spin if you ever hoped to get a walleye to bite it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember when the slow death hooks first came out. Was fishing on alkaline lake by Streeter and was outfishing my partner 4 to one, and was really rubbing it in. Eventually gave him one to use. Should have charged him for it.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just Texas rig with a slowdeath hook. Maybe even put a swivel between the weight and hook

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
V check your mail LB. Bullet weight in front or a coupla split shots and should work that way. Kinda crazy you should post this right now.

Unrelated, but if I had a nickel for every time I said "Kinda crazy you should post this right now" on various topics I'd have at least a dollar by now! This site is so relevant to life it's crazy, hunting or fishing or otherwise!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Unrelated, but if I had a nickel for every time I said "Kinda crazy you should post this right now" on various topics I'd have at least a dollar by now! This site is so relevant to life it's crazy, hunting or fishing or otherwise!
You see I out of the blue I mailed Vollmer some of my hand tied snells on Monday. Who would of thunk it that he would start this today.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
You see I out of the blue I mailed Vollmer some of my hand tied snells on Monday. Who would of thunk it that he would start this today.

They were in my mail tonight. Looking forward to trying them out!

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
Does anyone remember watching fishing shows years ago where they stated a spinning crawler was taboo? Had to glide through the water with no spin if you ever hoped to get a walleye to bite it.

I remember. The experts claimed that a crawler had to run as straight as possible so that it didn't spin or a spinner rig wouldn't catch walleyes. Now if I use a 2 hook rig, I intentionally make sure there is a loop in the crawler between hooks it so that it does spin.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
28FAA35D-763D-4BFC-A2F3-DB13899F1373.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This would work fairly well. Key is keeping the bullet weight in front of the barrel swivel. That way it won’t impede the spinning action.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
VMC makes a slowdeath hook with the swivel buildt right into the hook shaft. Its called SPINDRIFT. I get the size 2 to make my own snells and if I want more spin on the crawler I just tweek it with a needle nose.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
VMC makes a slowdeath hook with the swivel buildt right into the hook shaft. Its called SPINDRIFT. I get the size 2 to make my own snells and if I want more spin on the crawler I just tweek it with a needle nose.

It doesn’t seem like they spin that well. I have them but to me they just seem to inconsistent. Owner makes a snell with a super light maybe aluminum hook that doesn’t appear to be bent much but spins really well.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah they do barrel swivel and a bead ahead of swivel.

Ok I’ve never seen one set up that way.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The bead ahead of swivel keeps the green slime off of the swivel so it keeps on turning, kind of like an extra ball bearing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76