New State record

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard of a 14lb 8oz yesterday. The Mighty Mo is really kicking out the pigs, these last couple springs.

Shh, keep it down.

I saw a few pictures yesterday. Didn't hear the exact measurement, but sounded like it was close to 35".

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a picture yesterday of a dead one that was found floating. Measured 32" and weighed 15lbs. didn't look decomposed at all.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, the fishing wasn't "great" on the river by Fox Island yesterday. I ended up catching a mere three fish, two of which were significantly injured by what looked like a pike attack. So I ended the day as follows: About 15 bites (they were some tail grabbing SOBs), lost 4 after 2-10 seconds after being hooked, landed three, kept one. Beautiful day to be out with around 60 of my closest boat owning friends!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
6FAA5109-25FF-4C85-A888-D2FDDDB069CE.jpeg

It was 14.98 lbs

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD GFP gets ALL the credit for these big fish with their slot limit on OAHE.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^ you don't believe a multi-year tagging effort between ND & SD that tagged 36,000 fish between Garrison and Oahe dams?

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still think the fish slide up the river to spawn & then go back down to Oahe during the summer. I think some of their survey numbers are skewed. I've caught a handful of their tagged fish & when I turned the data in all but 1 was tagged within a couple weeks of when I caught it & it was caught/tagged at the same place. Of course that fish didn't migrate anywhere because it was caught in the river before the spawn was completely over with & the fish would have slid back to Oahe. Just my opinion though

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still think the fish slide up the river to spawn & then go back down to Oahe during the summer. I think some of their survey numbers are skewed. I've caught a handful of their tagged fish & when I turned the data in all but 1 was tagged within a couple weeks of when I caught it & it was caught/tagged at the same place. Of course that fish didn't migrate anywhere because it was caught in the river before the spawn was completely over with & the fish would have slid back to Oahe. Just my opinion though
I would agree that when they were tagged/caught could skew the results. I have only seen the write ups of the study not the raw data, i wonder if all the raw data is available. Still, Oahe just hasn't had the forage base since the flush of 2011, so where are these big girls growing?

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just assumed they slide south of the border somewhere. I never fish the SD side so I'm not to familiar with the status of majority of Oahe. It just seems that towards the end of May & early June when fishing the river around Bis slows down the ND side of Oahe is really good. Then that fades away & I figured they keep going south. I don't really know & we all know what happens when we assume something

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hearing rumors that this 17.1 is a hoax or rumor. Nothing in the news either. Anyone heard anything?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hearing rumors that this 17.1 is a hoax or rumor. Nothing in the news either. Anyone heard anything?
What 17.1? Unless it was caught today i would say Fake News. Remember the last record was caught in the morning and by early afternoon was pretty much confirmed. If its been more than 24 hours since you "heard" about a state record and nothing legit has come out about it...its BS

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
17.1?!? wow, that would be impressive. Don't think I believe it though. Agree with you, Bfishn, the whole state would know by now if it was the truth. Still think that there will be a 16+ caught this spring in the Mo though. I'm thinking north of Bis though. Just a guess.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Sorry guys.

What 17.1? Unless it was caught today i would say Fake News. Remember the last record was caught in the morning and by early afternoon was pretty much confirmed. If its been more than 24 hours since you "heard" about a state record and nothing legit has come out about it...its BS

17.1?!? wow, that would be impressive. Don't think I believe it though. Agree with you, Bfishn, the whole state would know by now if it was the truth. Still think that there will be a 16+ caught this spring in the Mo though. I'm thinking north of Bis though. Just a guess.

See what you started?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am hearing 17.1 too ----dem damn shad will do it ---- i also heard a big crappie caught -- 3lber not the record though

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66