Pitching Jigs - explain it like I’m five...

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm by no means a good at casting but I've heard a few anglers that are excellent say that for whatever reason, casting with mono will lots of times outfish casting with braid. Not sure if it's because the jig falls slightly slower or what. When multiple guys say that though that are awesome fisherman, there might be something to it.

I jig fish A LOT. I would have to agree with this. Through my own experimentation using mono is better than braid for jigging...in spring. I think it is because it is lighter therefore it sinks slower. Also being lighter the bait can flip around..JIG...better, more loosely, more realistic. Braid being a tad heavier and stiffer doesn't perform as well. However warmer waters it is probably equal. This is just my results. However, I have only one rigged up with mono and and all the rest of my fleet is braid.

Bob Erfish

Honored Member
My .$02–I agree with the techniques described- light line, light jig, slow retrieve. But I’ll add that when trying a new method you should do so in an area where you have absolute confidence fish are around. If your fishing slowly through an area with no fish present you will likely assume that the new method-pitching jigs in this case- is not nearly as effective as what people make it seem. So, I say fish an area so predictably loaded with fish that if you don’t catch them you can only assume it’s your fault. Pitching jigs tonshallow walleyes is awesome, have fun my friend

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey kdm, at what temp and for how long, do you bake your jigs?

It’s like 350 for a half hour. I use one of those cheap throw away grill grates. Hang the jigs on the grate and set the grate on a cheap aluminum foil baking pan. I found this to be the best way to bake a bunch of jigs at a time and it’s easy to handle them as well.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s like 350 for a half hour. I use one of those cheap throw away grill grates. Hang the jigs on the grate and set the grate on a cheap aluminum foil baking pan. I found this to be the best way to bake a bunch of jigs at a time and it’s easy to handle them as well.

So, just until a toothpick comes out clean?

I kid man, I kid.

I'm down three cranks in two outings this spring so far. That's at least $21. I suppose I could have bought a lot of lead for that much...

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can’t beat a good ol lead gumball bite. It’s one of the few things the fishing industry can’t reinvent to the point where they start costing $6 a crack.
Well some companies are starting to sell fancy pained jigs for $3 a pop now..... also have seen some tungsten jigs for $6 for two. It’s coming..... lead is bad

- - - Updated - - -

Last time I ran the numbers, my "roll your own" jigs set me back around 6 cents a piece. If I skip the paint, it's under a nickel. This compared to darn near 30 cents for store bought. With the number of jigs I burn every year, I paid for the components, mold, and smelter in the first year.
Do you use a fluid bed to powder coat your jigs or just dip them in?

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'm probably a novice compared to most on here, but my go-to pitching rod is a 7' ML fast tip, scheels guide series. i've got a high speed retrieve spinning reel (daiwa i think?) with 6lb orange trilene sensation. I like to be agle to see the line, and when using small jigs, mono doesn't sink as fast as braid keep the jig off the bottom longer. Usually 3/16 to 5/16 oz on this set up

BUT - and my buddies give me a hard time - i will also pitch with my 5'9" M fenwick, 8lb fireline and 3/8 jig, using a snap type retrieve rather than a slower retrieve.

I've caught plenty of fish both ways, but also broke a rod or two throwing that heavy jig around. It's just like anything else, if something isn't working, try something else. Sometimes the heavier jig (even in really shallow water) works better than the lighter. Sometimes mono works better than braid. same with minnows and plastics, try both and go with what works. again, i'm a novice compared to most, but being dead set on one-way of doing things usually doesn't work out, especially on the tough days.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tie a jig on the line, add bait or plastic tail, cast it out, reel it in. Do that a few thousand times and don’t look at your phone once.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
80% of the guys I see jigging are using way to heavy of a jig. I run a 1/8 about 60% and a 1/16 the rest. Very seldom do I go bigger than that. Heavier jig equals more snags and having to fish faster to keep from getting stuck.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well some companies are starting to sell fancy pained jigs for $3 a pop now..... also have seen some tungsten jigs for $6 for two. It’s coming..... lead is bad

- - - Updated - - -

Do you use a fluid bed to powder coat your jigs or just dip them in?

Fluid bed is a must have if you have any love for yourself. It’s a $10 DIY tool that is worth every penny. I use a heat gun to heat the jigs. 4-6 seconds with the heat gun, a quick dip in the fluid bed, hang to cool.

- - - Updated - - -

My fluid bed aerator doubles as my minnow bucket aerator.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Fluid bed is a must have if you have any love for yourself. It’s a $10 DIY tool that is worth every penny. I use a heat gun to heat the jigs. 4-6 seconds with the heat gun, a quick dip in the fluid bed, hang to cool.

- - - Updated - - -

You got pics of the fluid bed? I wouldn’t mind building one

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get that small air valve? I have an aerator so i might as well build a fluid bed.

dschaible

Established Member
Jigging shallow Sakakawea walleye with a quarter ounce and white fluke is tough to beat. I dont have the patience/confidence for light weight, slow finesse style fishing yet.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I struggle with the "use the lightest jig you can" style - so I fish heavier

it costs me fish (I know because Ahab and Wags demonstrate that fact for me in person, i.e. they piss me off)

but I have more fun fishing heavier (maintaining contact w bottom) so that's what I do

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I struggle with the "use the lightest jig you can" style - so I fish heavier

it costs me fish (I know because Ahab and Wags demonstrate that fact for me in person, i.e. they piss me off)

but I have more fun fishing heavier (maintaining contact w bottom) so that's what I do

This is my problem also. I very rarely pitch jigs, as I'm usually vertical jigging when I do jig. When I do jig its usually 20 to 50 ft deep. I'd like to fish the river around Ft. Rice more, and should probably buy some lighter jigs.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you get that small air valve? I have an aerator so i might as well build a fluid bed.

You don’t need one. It’s a stupid luxury item. Glue the air line into the fluid bed chamber. Then use a vice grip pinched on the air line to regulate the air. Basically anything that will pinch the line will regulate the air. I have a $5 Walmart aerator. I’ve found that regulating the air isn’t as important as having high enough sides to accommodate the bubbling of the powder paint. I’ve played around with coffee filters and paper bags. I like a piece of brown paper bag better than anything else

- - - Updated - - -

You got pics of the fluid bed? I wouldn’t mind building one

Just search fluid bed on the internet. You’ll build the exact same thing I have. If you understand how the bed works, you can decide how fancy you want to build yours. I’ve made several, and at the end of the day, the cheapest thing that functions is all you need.

- - - Updated - - -

Migrator man: if you must have a little valve, the pet stores have them or you can go heavier duty and piece together a brass one at your local hardware store.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I use the weight of jig that best for the spot. I don’t finesse fish unless there is a whorebag cold front.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does one maintain contact with the bottom without constant snags? I do ok twitching jigs but never really drag the bottom.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that’s the real trick and it’s not an exact science that’s for sure. You work it and then set the hook into a big snag then snap your line.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73