Pitching Jigs - explain it like I’m five...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does one maintain contact with the bottom without constant snags? I do ok twitching jigs but never really drag the bottom.

for me it’s mostly an occasional drop to see if I’m keeping it in the zone... stop - see the line bow when it hits bottom... swim again

not constant - sorta like a blind man and his cane - pitch fall contact-swim... fall-contact-swim.... fall-contact-swim....

if jig is too light its a pita to quickly make contact

if its rocky or woody I just slow down and hope to tick bottom occasionally and not hang up

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotcha, not far off from what ive been doing except I probably avoid the bottom more than I should.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
some days if I let it hit bottom I don’t get hit, it’s pure swim or skunkville

every day seems a little different - sometimes a lot different

Keep changing it up until you get thumped

- - - Updated - - -

mainly because I’m not that confident but I know I might solve the puzzle for that day if I just. keep. pitching. - ha ha

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
some days if I let it hit bottom I don’t get hit, it’s pure swim or skunkville

every day seems a little different - sometimes a lot different

Keep changing it up until you get thumped

- - - Updated - - -

mainly because I’m not that confident but I know I might solve the puzzle for that day if I just. keep. pitching. - ha ha

I think your care giver gave you the wrong meds today:;:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavy line, heavy jigs, big plastics, jerk it up hard & let it free fall to bottom.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
about all I do in 50 plus years of fishing/ unless fish are way deep during tournaments.
Its not difficult.
go a bit heavier at first on jig weight until comfortable,I prefer a
light jig around a 1/8th to 1/4 most of the time. Shallow fish are the most fun but
deep sauger at 40+ vertical jigging with a 5/8 are a blast. Jig size depends on current/wind/depth
Have noticed fish below the tailrace for 12 miles are much easier to catch with fluro/mono VS braid on jigs... Water super clear there. Seems to me they see braids and shy away. Keep it simple and cast, cast. cast when fishing less that 8'.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You don’t need one. It’s a stupid luxury item. Glue the air line into the fluid bed chamber. Then use a vice grip pinched on the air line to regulate the air. Basically anything that will pinch the line will regulate the air. I have a $5 Walmart aerator. I’ve found that regulating the air isn’t as important as having high enough sides to accommodate the bubbling of the powder paint. I’ve played around with coffee filters and paper bags. I like a piece of brown paper bag better than anything else

- - - Updated - - -

Just search fluid bed on the internet. You’ll build the exact same thing I have. If you understand how the bed works, you can decide how fancy you want to build yours. I’ve made several, and at the end of the day, the cheapest thing that functions is all you need.

- - - Updated - - -

Migrator man: if you must have a little valve, the pet stores have them or you can go heavier duty and piece together a brass one at your local hardware store.

Ended up taking your advice and put together a fluid bed with no valve and a direct connection to the bed. Spent about $3 in parts because I had the aerator and hose already handy. Put it together using a 2” coupling, 2-2” test plugs, about a 4” piece of 2” pvc, and 2 coffee filters. Put it all together without using glue because I wanted to use it bad so ended up just using Teflon tape to seal off the gaps. Works like a charm without the valve! Thanks for your feedback

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77