Pitching Jigs - explain it like I’m five...

The_owl

Established Member
I’ve never pitched jigs a day in my life. Seems like early spring people do well with just that type of presentation.

What’s the basics?

What length rod? Line? Leader? Looks like minnows more-so than worms? How about leaches? When does a guy use plastics vs live bait? What about the weights? Is lighter better for shallow water or ??

Thanks for the help.

Marco

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use the lightest line, jig, and bait combo you can. Use just enough of all those factors to get to the bottom. Rod/Reel combo is up to your preference. It's easiest to avoid live bait if possible, but if you feel you need to use it, fatheads on a slow drag retreive is a good place to start. With artificials, a drag/snap jig type retrieve is also a good starting place. If you feel ANY extra weight on the line, set the hook. Early spring walleyes can be notoriously and maddeningly soft mouthed when they bite. Good Luck!!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would use a ML or M, 6-6.5’ fast action rod with 6-10lb braid. You can tie on a flouro leader if you prefer but not needed. Weight of the jig depends on how light you can get away with and normally fish with 1/8, 5/16, 1/4 depending on the amount of current/depth. I use minnows early after ice off and then switch to plastics later on in the spring. I’ll use minnows until the fish start biting plastics. When fishing minnows the fish are normally picky and want a subtle action such as dragging it on the bottom or small lifts off the bottom. When I fish plastics I pop the jig off the bottom more aggressively and let it fall and hit the bottom. The walleyes will bite it when it hits the bottom on the fall and sometimes is very hard to detect.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
youtube is your friend
Along with lots of experimentation by you and the types of water you fish. You cannot go wrong by trying things. The fish will let you know what they want on that particular body of water/hour/day/weather etc.... It is a very fun way to fish.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Medium Heavy baitcaster --- i generally use a 1/2 to 3/4 and i like to chatter -- -bump up against the shoreline or sunken island - cast drag and drop or swim em back. Feel that hook set -- boom.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't complicate it. Your goal is to keep your line TIGHT at ALL times, especially on the river. Need to use enough weight to keep it on the bottom and enough back pressure to feel the tap in current or if you are dragging it. Vertical jigging is piece of cake but realize they can hit it on the way up or down.

You have to pay attention and focus on keeping your line tight and that takes focus and good retrieval methods . Line slack equals missed fish.

i try to fish with people with short attention spans that talk all the time.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm by no means a good at casting but I've heard a few anglers that are excellent say that for whatever reason, casting with mono will lots of times outfish casting with braid. Not sure if it's because the jig falls slightly slower or what. When multiple guys say that though that are awesome fisherman, there might be something to it.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Medium Heavy baitcaster --- i generally use a 1/2 to 3/4 and i like to chatter -- -bump up against the shoreline or sunken island - cast drag and drop or swim em back. Feel that hook set -- boom.
This says a lot

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB32BC77-6064-42AA-B13B-59BC2BF1F4CB.jpeg

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use the lightest line, jig, and bait combo you can. Use just enough of all those factors to get to the bottom. Rod/Reel combo is up to your preference. It's easiest to avoid live bait if possible, but if you feel you need to use it, fatheads on a slow drag retreive is a good place to start. With artificials, a drag/snap jig type retrieve is also a good starting place. If you feel ANY extra weight on the line, set the hook. Early spring walleyes can be notoriously and maddeningly soft mouthed when they bite. Good Luck!!

​What KDM says. Also works good for Smallies on LOW early spring.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would listen to KDM he has probably caught more fish with jigs than the number of jigs I have lost trying. My advice is bring lots of jigs.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you feel ANY extra weight on the line, set the hook.

This little piece of advice cost me a not insignificant amount of jigs this morning. Get to pouring and painting you scoundrel.

��

- - - Updated - - -

:)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh don't kid yourself Meelosh. I lose WAY more jigs in a given year than a fisherman has the right to lie about. I've got plenty on deck and ready to go Meelosh. They may not be commercial grade pour and paint, but they catch fish. I'm sure I could part with some if you have a need. Let me know.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I ran the numbers, my "roll your own" jigs set me back around 6 cents a piece. If I skip the paint, it's under a nickel. This compared to darn near 30 cents for store bought. With the number of jigs I burn every year, I paid for the components, mold, and smelter in the first year.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Jig fishing is by far my favorite type of fishing. ML rod with a sensitive tip, 6' or 6'3" two piece is what I prefer with braid straight to the jig or a fluoro leader. I'll try every type of retrieve possible.... A slow swim just off the bottom, pop and stop, a popping cadence/dance, or a slow rise/fall combination. Most times when i'm doing an aggressive pop and stop walleye and smallies will swallow it in the fall. Like most have said, watch your line closely and keep tension. If it's windy when I'm pitching I'm to the point of daydreaming as I focus on the feeling of my rod so closely. It's very therapeutic for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75