10m Rib Boat Loses one of two 300 HP Outboards Going full SPEED !

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy. Not sure the situation warranted dumping the motor though. I could see if it was a safety concern, but seemed likely they were near a port that could have had a salvage to tow boat out in short order. Who knows, just judging:)

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i cant believe they just cut it loose and let it sink??

what do you have in your boat to hoist a 750-900lb motor out of the water and into the boat? your dock rope is going to break trying to tow it in... save your life sacrifice the motor

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
i cant believe they just cut it loose and let it sink??

They were worried that traveling back with the dead motor may damage the hull/boat/other motor so decided to cut it loose. They went out days later and recovered the motor with a huge inflator bag and divers.

I had the opportunity one day on Lake Sakakawea to help load a 250 or was it a 300HP motor onto the back of a pickup in Garrison bay at the boat dock. Boater hit a submerged log way out at Nishu point going full tilt. He had been towed in (all that way) and was at the dock just after we had loaded up for the day. Guy came with a portable welding truck. Must have been contacted to be there. Anyway the only thing holding the motor onto the boat was a single ram. The owner wanted the motor off of the boat and into the back of his pickup. He asked if anyone knew the weight of the motor. I popped up with 500-600 pounds. We had 6 or 7 guys standing around gaucking so we had the manpower to load it up on his truck. Owner said he'd let the insurance company worry about it as far as damage.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76