Industrial Hemp

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can farmers plant Ind. Hemp without jumping through a bunch of hoops now?

Will there be any significant amounts grown in ND?

I wonder how deer would react to a stand of Hemp surrounding a food plot?

I bet an awful lot of critters could live in a 3'-6' wide swath of standing hemp along tree-rows, fence rows, creeks, and drainage ditches.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe there is a bunch of paper work. Last year, the ag department had NDSU scout hemp fields and collect samples to make sure it was industrial. I believe that will still happen. People are interested in this as a new crop, but growing it does have issues. Such as no registered pesticide use, not much info for fertility, plant density, ect...
Lots of research opportunity!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup, Still a bunch of hoops with the state but It looks like they are loosening their belt some on licensing cost. From what I can tell $ 100 should get up to 10 acres worth of permits. It was well over $ 250 last year, I sent the Ag dept an email a year ago with questions about their hemp pilot program and I was fishing for an opinion on leaving it stand without harvesting for habitat , They must not have had an answer because they dodged that question. I don't know if it would reseed itself and grow wild or not , Seems like there was a topic on the old site where someone said they ran across a wild stand someplace in MN. I think it would be dandy habitat , Especially if it didn't break down over winter .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75