Big 3 Results are Out.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
is that why some landowners chase them off public land onto private? posted = lack of hunting pressure = increased depredation

- - - Updated - - -

you are right it is private land and they don't have to let hunters on but with their choice they need to accept the consequences not be rewarded for it.

i don’t disagree with you

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some can't afford to hunt out of state and so shooting an elk/moose in ND (if fortunate enough to be drawn) will be the only time/opportunity to pursue those animals.

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason they got those tags in the first place was because they said the had to many elk. So they made a deal with the game and fish, they would allow reasonable access to other elk hunters in exchange for a tag every year. Well that's how it was supposed to work anyways..

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The reason they got those tags in the first place was because they said the had to many elk. So they made a deal with the game and fish, they would allow reasonable access to other elk hunters in exchange for a tag every year. Well that's how it was supposed to work anyways..

This is funny. "Sure we'll let people on our land just let me shoot one every year and anywhere and the gates will be open" lying.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe on the moose gratis tag, it is a once in a life time tag, and the land owner has to apply for a specific section of land. If they get drawn and don't fill their tag, they can send it back to the G&F and be eligible for the fallowing years moose lottery. If they fill that tag then they can no longer apply for a moose tag.

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is funny. "Sure we'll let people on our land just let me shoot one every year and anywhere and the gates will be open" IMG_2421.jpg

When I drew E4 years ago that is exactly what the game and fish said at the meeting.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some can't afford to hunt out of state and so shooting an elk/moose in ND (if fortunate enough to be drawn) will be the only time/opportunity to pursue those animals.

I understand that , however it’s really not that expensive. You can buy leftover cow elk tags In Montana for $275 and lots of public land and block management to hunt

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe on the moose gratis tag, it is a once in a life time tag, and the land owner has to apply for a specific section of land. If they get drawn and don't fill their tag, they can send it back to the G&F and be eligible for the fallowing years moose lottery. If they fill that tag then they can no longer apply for a moose tag.

I had an M10 tag last year. I was up scouting one weekend and saw a nice bull a bit northwest of Minot. The land it was on wasn't posted, but I found out who's it was. I drove up to their farm to visit and see if they'd seen any nice moose or if anyone had a tag. Turns out the farmer himself had one and was absolutely excited about it. I showed him some pics of the moose I saw- and we exchanged numbers and visited a bit. During our discussion- I gathered that TikkaLover's thoughts on the process is correct. They still only get one moose tag, but they don't have to fill it. But the next year their name goes into the drawing for the gratis tags again. Once they do tag out with a critter, then they're done.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Funny how some people say they can't afford to go out of state to hunt, then crawl into an expensive boat or camper. It's all about your priorities. I choose not to buy an expensive boat so I can afford to hunt out of state every year.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny how some people say they can't afford to go out of state to hunt, then crawl into an expensive boat or camper. It's all about your priorities. I choose not to buy an expensive boat so I can afford to hunt out of state every year.

Yup exactly . Or they sit in the bar day after day of buy stupid shit they don’t need ...

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I couldn't agree more. I would say most people can afford it if they realigned their priorities. Just the fact that the average car payment in America is now $520 over 72 months suggests that the average person could afford to put away a hundred bucks a month if they downgraded their stupid vehicle and stop trying to impress people they don't know. Not to mention boats, ATVs, ice house, camper, etc.

Most people can afford it by just dropping or cutting down a bad habit (smoking/chewing/drinking pop or alcohol/eating fast food for lunch/buying fancy coffee). When me and my wife decided that we wanted to do flyout hunts, we gave up all that stuff and canned cable, dropped our internet down to slow $30 a month extremely limited plan, drive reliable 14-year old vehicles, and only go out to eat once every couple of months.

I understand that there are people that are already living this way and they truly can't afford it, but that is far from the average person. I don't mean to sound like a jerk and I don't know everyone's personal situation; I just really believe that doing adventure hunts is so worth it and I really believe that it is far more within reach to do it than people realize. If you like all the things I mentioned above more than an experience of an out of state hunt, then good for you. Do what you enjoy. We all have limited income and need to make them tough choices.

Congrats to all that drew a local tag!

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hunted out of state when I could afford it now I have those memories and they cant take that away from me. I hope.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drew cow elk in E2. Have hunter elk out of state and shot my share of bulls. Decided to increase my odds in ND and hunt a cow. Worked out and it will still be an experience. Will now know if they taste any different than a bull if successful.

Moose gratis are also different than elk in that those gratis tags are limited to the land listed on the application. Not guaranteeing those guidelines are always followed but that is the rule. Just like deer gratis.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74