Whitefish, not bad at all

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was the fishing that bad?

Depends on who you ask...the pier rats were having a good time shoulder to shoulder with a school of 12-16" walleyes on the walls, the tourists were having a blast trying to get the carp n buffalo they could see to bite, and this pier rat had a good luck catching some nice pike on a big rubber swim bait, no boats down there.

Got the whitefish on a jig n a rubber fluke. They must like rubber, I cut an old fluke out of it's stomach.

Last edited:

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Guy,the fish monger Kurt was referring too is the Russ Kendahl fish stand in two harbors. years ago I FISHED (steelhead) every stream from duluth to grand maria always stopped at Kendahls fish stand,even tho old Russ passed away many years ago his boyz still operate,got they're brine recipe from Russ which I still use today,my fav was still is brown surgar lake trout,more moist than salmon (oily) the key is smoke ,the area they live has nothing but maple tree's thats the wood Russ told us to use,still do today how ever for less smoke flavor they started using Pecan wood? so google Russ Kendahl GUY they post inside info for old school smoking.

best home smoker I gave away was my bradley (electric n digital) bought a pellet grill/smoker gets to hot even with the hood cracked gotta keep the temps low under 150 for my liking.

I spent 6 years of my life (at least 200 days/year) while in college making that same run up and down the gitchee gummee and over to the Brule. Many of stops for this guy at Kendalls - but wasnt lucky enough to get his brine recipe!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy,the fish monger Kurt was referring too is the Russ Kendahl fish stand in two harbors. years ago I FISHED (steelhead) every stream from duluth to grand maria always stopped at Kendahls fish stand,even tho old Russ passed away many years ago his boyz still operate,got they're brine recipe from Russ which I still use today,my fav was still is brown surgar lake trout,more moist than salmon (oily) the key is smoke ,the area they live has nothing but maple tree's thats the wood Russ told us to use,still do today how ever for less smoke flavor they started using Pecan wood? so google Russ Kendahl GUY they post inside info for old school smoking.

best home smoker I gave away was my bradley (electric n digital) bought a pellet grill/smoker gets to hot even with the hood cracked gotta keep the temps low under 150 for my liking.

I have an apple cider brown sugar brine that’s just how I like

I was not aware the recipe kurtr mentioned used smoked whitefish

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha - made me laugh and I don't even know what it means

- - - Updated - - -

maybe MSA got distracted and forgot the "suck it" part?

Ok, I'm as lost as Guywhodoesntgetmemes, explain it to me

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79