Trolling motor shaft length

3geese4me

Honored Member
I made a mistake and accidentally ordered a 60 inch shaft instead of a 72 inch shaft for my Lund adventure. Is a 72 inch shaft absolutely needed? Or, will I be able to get by with the 60 inch shaft?

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
60 is what most use. I think the 70 is for the big dogs fishing in the rough water with the bigger sparkly boats.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
60 inch will be just fine for your boat 3geese...if she's coming out of the water prolly time to head back to the dock!

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
60 would be ok, however I know U fish Sak. If you can, return it for the 72. It's a new boat, rig it right.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 17.5’ and have often wished I had bought a 72”

under normal wave conditions the direction of the head of a 72” can be left sticking up making it easier to see when someone is sitting in the front seat (for remote control)

- - - Updated - - -

I fish the windblown side of the lakes a LOT and the 60” doesn’t stay under - I hate that

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If your 60 is wave hopping its time to trailor it. Just my 2cents.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 60" on my 1850 Tyee and it doesnt take much chop for it to pop out of the water. very frustrating. If I fill the front livewell and put someone up front it helps but I wish I had the 72".

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
If your 60 is wave hopping its time to trailor it. Just my 2cents.

I think your wrong. I catch a lot of fish because I have the right trolling motor. Why limit yourself when you don't have to. I see too many boats leave fish because the trolling motor can't do the job.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the 60 comes out of the water over and over --- the trolling rods get placed and the big motor says yes this is why i have what i was made. Generally i mine rarely comes out of the water - especially with my heavy ass at the bow. But when the wind gets crazy -- its behind the windshield for this guy.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m usually i-anchored, pointed in the wind and pitching or slip-bobbering the wave-impacted shoreline

trolling that same water would indeed suck and call for plan B

3geese4me

Honored Member
Got a hold of the shipper and my motor has already been shipped. So, I can either immediately return the motor or try the motor out and see how it does and if I'm unhappy I'll just have to sell it and buy the right length. Not ideal but it's my fault and I'm willing to try to see if it will work.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 72" on my boat and it comes out of the water often on sak, the warrior's nose sits high though.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think on a Lund Adventure you'll probably be fine with 60", I cant imagine your going to be out fishing in crazy conditions with that boat. If you were running a big tyee or something id say return it immediately for the 72".

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you'll be fine. It sits about the same in the water at my superhawk and I've never had an issue. If it's that windy you either need a drift sock or a beer ok n shore.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing on the new Terrova with the lift-assist is that the lift-assist apparatus definitely takes a few inches away from the usable shaft length.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll switch to the main and start pulling cranks when it is too rough for the 60 to stay in the water. The 60" will suit you fine, when that 60 starts cutting air constantly do you see yourself kicking yourself for not getting a 72" just so you can take a longer beating that day?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish out of a 2075 Lund and a 219 350 jack plated Yar allot. Both have a hard time keeping a 72 inch shaft in the water when the wind picks up a little.
I was always envious of that ranger just sitting there in big waves as I bobbed up and down to the sound of my trolling motor coming out of the water.
Now I'm the other guy and couldn't be happier.#$%^&>

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish out of a 2075 Lund and a 219 350 jack plated Yar allot. Both have a hard time keeping a 72 inch shaft in the water when the wind picks up a little.
I was always envious of that ranger just sitting there in big waves as I bobbed up and down to the sound of my trolling motor coming out of the water.
Now I'm the other guy and couldn't be happier.#$%^&>

I told this story a million times -- mark braumbaugh when he was running a ranger --- were outside the city limits of minniewaukin trolling bombers through the million acres of cattails back in the day. The wind picked up like a sob ---- wave would come over this stern and he would stand up and look over with hands up in the air (were in my old 16 footer) and go arent you guys getting wet!!!! We would say no -- but we could barely stand up. Mark's bilgin and we cant stand up --- fish on you reeled from your seat the netter was bouncing all over just like a bobber but we were dry trolling.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77