Sb 2315 - reborn after house gutting!

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the idea of getting this sorted out without our states dinosaurs and elected lobbyists. However, this bill was pushed by the ND Farm Bureau (All land must be in production), ND Stockmans Association (All land not in production must be grazed) etc. There is also support from a small group of landowners (the lock out crew) who hated hunters to begin with, and will never be swayed to side with any increase in recreational land access. I believe no matter what the public thinks, this will continually show up, due to its origins.

MOST landowners I’ve talked to, myself included, see through the various veils presented to us. It’s not a landowners rights bill, it’s not a trespass bill, it’s a bill to weaken public interest in recreation; reducing opposition to big ag initiatives. Yet, the rep’s claimed overwhelming support for it.

I think this sums it up well. I agree, unfortunately, I don't see this going away and the attempt to weaken public interest in recreation wont ever stop because recreation is in direct competition with there motives and business.

Take a look at land parcels for sale and the value wildlife habitat adds to the sale price. It pushes the price up to the point you cant pencil out a business case for ag purposes only.

A quarter of land that is 100% in production will have a sale price correlating to the ag market and will likely be purchased by someone looking to keep it in ag production.

A quarter of land that is in 50% crops/ 50% wildlife habitat will be marketed more for its wildlife habitat than its ag production. Especially with how the crop markets have been recently. The sales ad will have trail cam pictures, hunting pictures, drone footage of the habitat and then some little tidbit at the end related to the projected cash rent one could receive on the tillable acres.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really think sportsmen need to look hard at buying up land and take it out of production and make it into habitat. There are a lot of people that can afford this. We also need to look at any and all ways people can partner up and do this.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really think sportsmen need to look hard at buying up land and take it out of production and make it into habitat. There are a lot of people that can afford this. We also need to look at any and all ways people can partner up and do this.
If only non profits orgs could buy land then a person could start a group to focus on that. Right now only individuals can buy land so starting a hunt clubs may be difficult in ND.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who the hell can afford to spend $250,000 to buy land and get no return out of it?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its exactly like the impeachment. They can't stand the results, so they went behind closed doors and will cram it through anyways.

I agree, buckle up.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

Two quarters sold within a couple miles of my place in 2019. One went for $3500/acre and the other $4k.
Sounds like a strong investment idea you got there! I'm sure the people who can afford to do such things would jump all over that.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not taking about red river valley land lol. We need to put an end to this anti corporate farming bullshit so that groups can buy land. I don’t know if that will take an initiative or a court fight. I thought there was a case against it pending in the state Supreme Court. We need to fight these ass hats with whatever method we can come up with.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

M&W Hunting Club south of Beulah is selling 640 acres at auction February 10th.

https://www.pifers.com/listing/640-acres-oliver-county-nd

I am unfamiliar with M&W Hunting Club and cannot speculate as to why they are divesting themselves of hunting land. Maybe Skeeter knows more about this Club.

640 acres in that area may fetch $1 million.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe because Pheasant hunting isn't anything like it used to be?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also think non-profits purchasing land should be brought to the table, so long as anything owned buy a non-profit allows public access. Along with this, get rid of the no-net-gain rule pertaining to the amount of public land in ND. This would be met with a huge push back from the big ag groups however. There was a parcel of land sold directly to the Game and Fish near Lawton ND a few years back, and some people’s reactions were off the charts mad. Read a short summary of it here https://www.devilslakejournal.com/article/20120717/NEWS/307179915.

Funny how they are so quick to throw out the word “entitled”, yet some will throw a tantrum over what someone else decides to do with their own land, or that they weren’t given the opportunity to buy it instead. One of the complaints was the non-farmed land would affect farmland due to increase in wildlife. Well, you could always allow hunters to help you out with that. Win-win.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is only 8 months left to organize something/some effort to support legislators who supported hunting, and to oppose 2315 type legislators. Every session hunters scramble to defeat laws that should be a no brainer in the first place. That email effort that started here on NDA against 2315 saved the day. I doubt most legislators ever hear from hunters except when it's time to oppose a trespass bill.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my area all the reps get together and campaign as one team. They make the public think you have to vote for all three even if you only like one of them. They lead you to believe they will get more done with the three stooges together than if you allow new ideas. And they wait til like a month before the election to start throwing up signs and do a little campaigning. They know they don’t hand to do anything to get re elected.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also think non-profits purchasing land should be brought to the table, so long as anything owned buy a non-profit allows public access. Along with this, get rid of the no-net-gain rule pertaining to the amount of public land in ND. This would be met with a huge push back from the big ag groups however. There was a parcel of land sold directly to the Game and Fish near Lawton ND a few years back, and some people’s reactions were off the charts mad. Read a short summary of it here https://www.devilslakejournal.com/article/20120717/NEWS/307179915.

Funny how they are so quick to throw out the word “entitled”, yet some will throw a tantrum over what someone else decides to do with their own land, or that they weren’t given the opportunity to buy it instead. One of the complaints was the non-farmed land would affect farmland due to increase in wildlife. Well, you could always allow hunters to help you out with that. Win-win.

i am not a farmer. so, i am probably missing something. but, i will never quite understand the outcry against sales like this. on another note, i can't see the comments.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

What is being discussed is two ideologies. On the one hand someone wants to purchase the land to grow their business, work the land or use the land to raise a family. Every one of us needs that. On the flip side some folks want land set aside for hunting. Property owned in common by everyone.

A third option, there is some land for sale by M&W Hunting Club or 640 acres at auction on Feb. 10th. It may fetch $1 million. Using a commune theory it may take 100 sportsmen to afford it. Form a club and each chip in $10,000. Now the work begins. Trees to plant and weeding them. Food plots and planting. Spraying weeds. Create a hunting mecca. We all know how this works. 5% of the 100 owners do all the work and on opening day the other 95% show up to harvest. That is why the commune....ism system doesn't work.

So everyone moves on to letting the non-profits buy. Same problem. When land is owned in common, who is going to plant the food plots, plant and weed the trees, spray the Canada Thistle, etc. for the wildlife?

bravo thinks non-profits purchasing land should be brought back to the table. Instead of taking private land out of production, how about putting existing public land into production? Or wildlife production? Do something with it. Remember though that it is owned in common and some preservationists are going to fight that they want it in a natural state or no trace of hunting conservationists.

The whole
idea of allowing non-profits purchasing land was rejected by the voters during the clean water air ballot measure recently.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
CORPORATIONS CARE ABOUT PROFITS!!!!! NOT wildlife, NOT habitat, NOT hunters, and NOT what is even good for the land!!!! They won't think twice about bulldozing every tree, slough, grass patch, or drainage if it means they make more money. Just look at what is happening to the shelter belts, sloughs, and other habitat on ag land right now and that's the doings of private landowners. What do you think will happen when it's a corporation making the decisions?? Careful what you wish for when it comes to allowing corporate farming folks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76