Sak Salmon

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a big fan of the taste, prefer the mild flavor of a 27” eye.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a 2021 salmon fishing report? Hoping to get out this weekend

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some are being caught, had to dig 2 salmon heads out of the grinder at Riverdale last friday.

eliminator

Honored Member
There are salmon being caught. It is spotty but not bad. Some really nice fish this year. The biggest I have heard about is about 17 lbs but lots over 10. The biggest I have caught is 13.4. Hopefully it will just get better and better for a while. Most are being caught in the 60 to 90 range that I am hearing about.

Whitetail56

There are salmon being caught. It is spotty but not bad. Some really nice fish this year. The biggest I have heard about is about 17 lbs but lots over 10. The biggest I have caught is 13.4. Hopefully it will just get better and better for a while. Most are being caught in the 60 to 90 range that I am hearing about.

Anything special they have been hitting on?

rapala_09

Honored Member
Some are being caught, had to dig 2 salmon heads out of the grinder at Riverdale last friday.
I can't imagine those heads not being ground up, with the barracuda grinder it seems like you could grind concrete and not have to dig it out.
I'm not calling you a liar though, good on you for not just walking away though if there was an issue. So thanks

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the first one got wedged and plugged it up. Took alittle time to clear it but they did go down. Sure do like that grinder.

eliminator

Honored Member
I have been out several times this week and have had varied success. two days, no salmon and very few bites. One day we had 4 and lost 6 and one day caught 3. It seems the 70-90 foot range is where most are being caught and it varies on what. I have had hits on herring both with a flasher and naked (no flasher) and also caught some on flashers and full body squids and also on needle fish. It seems the purple haze color and blue/silver squids and needle fish have been my best. I would guess if you talk to others they will have differences on what they are catching them on. My best advise is if you are not catching, switch and keep trying different depths and color combinations. Trust your electronics on where the fish are in the water column and fish those areas.

Good luck everyone. Also once the water cools and they start coming shallow (Normally late august or september) you can catch them with spoons and cranks much better.

eliminator

Honored Member
They are catching salmon at pretty much all depths right now. Long lining with crankbaits, casting in bays, downrigging. They seem to be from top to bottom but still spotty.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone been out yet this year or heard of any luck? Been itchin to get out

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
693190A6-010F-416F-BFBD-98BDEC51A372.jpg
been out a few times. No luck here, just skill ;)

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^. WJS what is the daily limit??? Just saw that you are in AK and I'm sure that those are silvers - limit probably 10/day.

Last edited:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^. WJS what is the daily limit??? Just saw that you are in AK and I'm sure that those are silvers - limit probably 10/day.

Upper Kenai sockeye. The limit starts at 3 per person per day. The first run was well above the in-river goals 1/2 the way through the run so they opened up to 6 per day right around June 25th so we took advantage. I've fished the Kenai on years when it's so the good limit is 12 and so bad they have the limit down to 1. This was a two person limit in a couple hours. You typically lose as many sockeye as you land, especially with how high the water has been this year. The silvers will start to pick up in the fresh water in a couple of weeks and run through October. It's still sockeye time for us until about the first week of August when we switch to silvers and let the kids chase pinks and chum. I personally only keep the sockeye. It's what I prefer and we get lots of it.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^
How would you rate Sockeyes vs. Kings? We can only keep Kings off northern CA where I fish. Every now and then we will catch a Silver but we do not keep it. We can usually limit on Kings (2/day per license) and prefer them to Silvers.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a ND post. Deep or shallow: Spoons, nightcrawlers, egg sacks under a float: White meat cat food. Like AOC my favorite "latina".

Last edited:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^
How would you rate Sockeyes vs. Kings? We can only keep Kings off northern CA where I fish. Every now and then we will catch a Silver but we do not keep it. We can usually limit on Kings (2/day per license) and prefer them to Silvers.

Most prefer Chinook because of fat content. I prefer sockeye because they're much more firm. It's like bud light and Coors lights for people. Very similar but everyone has their preference. Even saltwater coho are a bit soft IMO but there are plenty of people who absolutely rave over them. Same with Yukon chum, but I have no intentions of eating chum as long as the sockeye keep coming in record numbers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62