opti-max oil

sdtransplant

Established Member
have a 250 pro xs 2 stroke and am wondering if anyone has tried Lucas oil in their motor and what they use? we have to get the oil at bass pro-cabelas, a hour trip one way, and the price keeps going up on it. can get the lucas oil in town from parts dealer . thanks

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick silver from Walmart is what I always run never had issues I run it in every 2 stroke I own ( auger ,weed eater, chainsaw) never any probs

leier12

I would be very careful about running any oil in an optimax other than optimax oil. The optimax oil is made specifically for optimaxes and contains "stuff" other 2 stroke oils do not. Heard too many horror stories of people blowing motors because they didnt want to spend the extra $ on optimax oil.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick silver from Walmart is what I always run never had issues I run it in every 2 stroke I own ( auger ,weed eater, chainsaw) never any probs

Big difference between a standard 2-stroke and one of the high-pressure direct injected 2-strokes from Merc (OptiMax), Yamaha (HPDI), or Evinrude (FICHT/E-TECH).

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Quicksliver also has a DFI oil, it isn't any cheaper than the black bottled mercury DFI oil, comes down to more what you can find. They say you can use any TCW3 oil in a pinch however I personally wouldn't use anything but the Mercury or QuickSilver DFI oil in an Opti. After owning 2 trouble free Opti's I can say with out a doubt the mercury DFI oil pours like water and has a different color and smell than any other oil I've used in any of my 2 stroke powersports engines. for the few bucks of savings, kind seems like a gamble. if you can't find it locally, just go online and order it. Heck you can even get 2.5 gallon jugs of it if you look around.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get some extra when you make your trip for Opti oil. I wouldn’t gamble on a $20k motor. Like said above DFI oil is DIFFERENT from regular 2-stroke oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, each manufacturer varies in the way DFI is done so DFI oil can be engine specific.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the non opti specific (or dfi) oil is much lighter in viscosity and won’t inject into intake plenum like the opti oil does so I’d be a little Leary of it.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Optimax oil for optimax motor. Oil is expensive, but better fuel economy (compared to 4-stroke) makes up for it. But then not adding oil to a 4 stroke probably makes it a wash.

Last edited:

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try DOMO On Line..... (DOMO = Direct Outboard Motor Oil) I've ordered from them numerous time. Genuine Mercury or Yamaha oil at discounted prices. If you can find a couple buddies to go in on it with you and share shipping costs it works out even better.

https://domo-online.com/

sdtransplant

Established Member
Thanks to all, just made the trip to get opti-max oil picked up 3 to save trips , will just buy whenever get around mercury dealer.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try DOMO On Line..... (DOMO = Direct Outboard Motor Oil) I've ordered from them numerous time. Genuine Mercury or Yamaha oil at discounted prices. If you can find a couple buddies to go in on it with you and share shipping costs it works out even better.

https://domo-online.com/

Big 4 stroke oil changes aren’t free either. If an Opti was as quiet as a Verado, it would be an easy choice.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had about 8 dfi outboards, some i put almost 20 gallons of oil in a summer.
They all got super tech from walmart, never had a single motor issue.
Hell go on outboard motor forms, I've seen guys go up to 3,000 hours on an optimax running nothing but supertech. I have a buddy that has 1500 on his 225 opti all on super tech. Probably more super tech outboard oil sold than any other oil, if it blew up motors there would be a class action lawsuit like no other.
This coming from a guy that used to blend oils for a living.
But buy whatever makes you feel good, as long as it meets the standard your good to go.

Myk Lund

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been running aimsoil in my 07 175 optimax sinceI bought it in 2007. Still purrs like a kitty. Cold this am. Real nice this afternoon and the eyes are biting!!:eek:

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Optimax oil for optimax motor. Oil is expensive, but better fuel economy (compared to 4-stroke) makes up for it. But then not adding oil to a 4 stroke probably makes it a wash.

I'n not sure about that. I have about $65 into an oil change on my Merc 150 4S every 100 hours, or end of season even if I don't have 100 hrs on it. Do the modern 2-Strokes use that much oil in 100 hrs of general operation?

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I will add to this topic is this: A few years ago I had a Merc 150 4S blow a walnut sized hole in the block with just a few weeks left on factory warranty. Mercury took fuel and oil samples to make sure it was going to be covered under warranty. While I do NOT know what they were looking for in their samples, I do know I was running Merc 4S motor oil, and they never blinked an eye at replacing a roughly $9600 powerhead through my local dealer.

Now, if'n I had been running some other brand of motor oil, who knows what the warranty experience would have been like. I do know I was sitting on pins and needles awaiting Merc's determination on if they were going to honor their warranty.

In a nutshell, if the motor is under warranty, do you really want to risk voiding the warranty by running something that isn't technically their brand, even if you have had great experiences with a particular brand in the past? That bill for a new powerhead would have sucked on a brand new to me rig, I think I had put around 30-40 hrs on it in those short few weeks I had it before the motor went kapow.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'n not sure about that. I have about $65 into an oil change on my Merc 150 4S every 100 hours, or end of season even if I don't have 100 hrs on it. Do the modern 2-Strokes use that much oil in 100 hrs of general operation?

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I will add to this topic is this: A few years ago I had a Merc 150 4S blow a walnut sized hole in the block with just a few weeks left on factory warranty. Mercury took fuel and oil samples to make sure it was going to be covered under warranty. While I do NOT know what they were looking for in their samples, I do know I was running Merc 4S motor oil, and they never blinked an eye at replacing a roughly $9600 powerhead through my local dealer.

Now, if'n I had been running some other brand of motor oil, who knows what the warranty experience would have been like. I do know I was sitting on pins and needles awaiting Merc's determination on if they were going to honor their warranty.

In a nutshell, if the motor is under warranty, do you really want to risk voiding the warranty by running something that isn't technically their brand, even if you have had great experiences with a particular brand in the past? That bill for a new powerhead would have sucked on a brand new to me rig, I think I had put around 30-40 hrs on it in those short few weeks I had it before the motor went kapow.

I burn maybe a quart of oil on a weekend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75