opti-max oil

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s all about the viscosity of the oil and not the additives etc. any oil would work fine if it was the exact viscosity as opti oil. But you can bet it isn’t unless you can find a test done by a lab. For what little you save it’s probably not worth it. Have their been many people run many different oils in their opti’s? Of course. But motor longevity is in question I think.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mercury warranty is a tough cookie. Bought a new 8hp that wouldn’t start. Bay shore in valley city was awesome and replaced the motor with a new one after going through 3 carbs from mercury. The motor I have now works but every part connected to it is failing.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Power head is tohatsu and most of the parts are merc. Choke switch and throttle both went also. Parts are at dealer now need to pick them up. I am not hard on equipment either it’s just low quality parts.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
but not the same as optimax oil

Quicksilver makes a DFI oil that is rated for the Optimax. Says so right on the back of the bottle. Its the exact same thing as Mercs Optimax oil (Quicksilver is owned by Mercury). Walmart sells it for a few bucks less than the Merc branded stuff from a dealer. Been using it in my Opti for the 3 seasons I've owned it.

Lots of discussion about this topic on BBC and THT forums. Rumor has it that Merc Racing department recommended using Penzoil Premium Plus 2 stroke oil in the Merc DFI engines for a period of time. Read that some guys use it and claim that it smokes a lot less than Merc/Quicksilver DFI.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBMD2E/?tag=nodakangler10-20

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine has a setting u change with my laptop. I have it set to burn basic 2stroke oil but use the top end hd100 end result it pumps more oil in it and u really can't tell with that high end stuff cept it costs ya more

- - - Updated - - -

Setting allows for more oil or less

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quicksilver makes a DFI oil that is rated for the Optimax. Says so right on the back of the bottle. Its the exact same thing as Mercs Optimax oil (Quicksilver is owned by Mercury). Walmart sells it for a few bucks less than the Merc branded stuff from a dealer. Been using it in my Opti for the 3 seasons I've owned it.

Lots of discussion about this topic on BBC and THT forums. Rumor has it that Merc Racing department recommended using Penzoil Premium Plus 2 stroke oil in the Merc DFI engines for a period of time. Read that some guys use it and claim that it smokes a lot less than Merc/Quicksilver DFI.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBMD2E/?tag=nodakangler10-20
perfect. If merc tells you to use it use it

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s the best lower unit lube for a big black Johnson? I been using evinrude lube but can’t find that where I shop.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m about to swap out the whole works for Yamaha.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74