1850 Reata reviews

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering an 1850 Reata. Anyone have one with a 150 Verado? One I am looking at is a 2012. Currently have a 99 1850 Tyee w/ 135 opti. Similar size but more family freindly and hopefully nicer ride. Will be about 75/25 fishing/family fun. Mostly fish DL and LOW. Will I notice much difference in ride? Not crazy about the dash on the 2012 model.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I know the top caps have changed a few times over the years but have the hulls?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 1850 in a 2015 model. I really like the boat. I've never taken a ride in the tyee you are referencing, but I really like the reata. I love how much room is behind the windshield for the style of fishing I do. I can stick the family of 5 in the boat and be comfortable all day. I have the Yammy 150 on it and I really like the motor. If you like to pull cranks though, you will probably need a kicker. For me the 150 won't go much slower than 2.3-2.5 on a calm day. When I added the kicker, I gained the control I needed for trolling, but lost 3-4MPH at top end speed on the big motor.

The only big negative I don't like about it, is the lack of storage, but that's the trade off for having more room behind the windshield in an 18' class boat.

It does ride pretty well. I'm sure in some of the high wind situations on Sak bigger boats ride better, but I don't make long runs in 4' rollers.

Overall I am very happy with the boat and would recommend it for someone looking at the reata. However, I think my next boat would be an Angler or something similar by another manufacturer with a bit more storage space.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
When anchored or trolling into the wind with a decent chop do you take much water over the bow? Thats one negative I have heard about with this boat.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I owned a 2012 stratos 386 for a year. The stratos isn't the same boat but is similar in some respects. The in-floor rod storage is very similar and I hated it. Rods and reels would get wet and you couldn't fit many in there. Overall there wasn't enough storage for me and the Stratos didn't ride great and occasionally took a wave over the bow when using the trolling motor. These were the main reasons I sold it. If the storage isn't an issue for you it will probably be a fine boat but there are a lot of other choices I would consider. As for the verado, my stratos had a 150 verado and it didn't give me any issues but if they do, they are more complex and expensive to fix. I prefer yamaha or suzuki. Pm me if you have any specific questions.

MULEDEER

Established Member
I had a 14 reatta with the mercury 150 non Verado. Good boat handled well liked it I then traded up to a ranger 2018 angler with a 200 verado much better boat for control still family friendly. Both good boats for me the angler is a better boat I would consider one if your looking these were both 1850

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my last boat was a 2014 1850 reata with a 150 merc 4 stroke... it's a good boat, top speed was 43mph with a 19p prop normally it was closer to 40mph, i feel a 17 or 18p might have been better as it was lower on the rpm's than it should have been... big issues i had were, it would spear waves from time to time, yes it can handle 4-5' waves but it was rough and you will get some water coming over the front... storage flat sucks for fishing gear imo (either that or I have too much) for trolling cranks it really needs a kicker motor (i used a trolling plate) the switches they used were absolut garbage i was replacing 2-3 a year

For me it was my first boat, it taught me a lot about what I personally wanted in a boat and what to look for in the one I have now. Things I miss about that boat, easy to pull on the trailer, the cup holders were fantastic.

- - - Updated - - -

i will agree with muledeer, if you are more fish than ski the angler series in the ranger line is much better and it still retains enough family friendly options that will make the ladies happier... all i did in my new boat to make the wife happy was add a ski pole so i could pull a tube, no extra seats or jump seats in my boat, sit on the livewell or get a pillow up front

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 14 reatta with the mercury 150 non Verado. Good boat handled well liked it I then traded up to a ranger 2018 angler with a 200 verado much better boat for control still family friendly. Both good boats for me the angler is a better boat I would consider one if your looking these were both 1850

Was the 150 enough HP for that boat? I understand that storage isn't great but it a lot better than what I currently have.

- - - Updated - - -

whats the letters behing the 1850 stand for? This particular 1850 is an "RS"

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was the 150 enough HP for that boat? I understand that storage isn't great but it a lot better than what I currently have.

yes and no, did it work? yes 150 pushed it on the water, 19p was too high so the hole shot was garbage and if you got 4 people in the boat it was a pita to get on plane and if you had a tube on the back it wasn't snappy enough to be real fun (good for young kids not teens+) that is why i suggest the 17 or 18p should push the rpm's higher on the top end and might even pick up a couple mph and better out of the hole, because mine always ran 600-800 lower than max

- - - Updated - - -

RS is like the hull model... there is only 2 packages from ranger i believe and that's the standard reata with no extras and the family fun pack, trolling motor, cheap graph, and bimini top

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Considering an 1850 Reata. Anyone have one with a 150 Verado? One I am looking at is a 2012. Currently have a 99 1850 Tyee w/ 135 opti. Similar size but more family freindly and hopefully nicer ride. Will be about 75/25 fishing/family fun. Mostly fish DL and LOW. Will I notice much difference in ride? Not crazy about the dash on the 2012 model.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I know the top caps have changed a few times over the years but have the hulls?
The ride should be much better than your tyee and the 150 should be enough power. The reatta is not the perfect boat for fishing but isn’t too bad either.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
this one must be have the family fun pack as it comes with the ski pole and bimini top. Did yours have the bimini top? Can you actually use it or is it one of those worthless short one. The owner has never used it so has no input.

MULEDEER

Established Member
Like rusty said 150 is enough but at times not enough depends on prop. My 1850 angler ms multi species is not a speed demon either but I have a kicker and enough stuff to fill two boats. Like said reatta is a good boat I just think tha angler gives you more fishability and still family friendly your are welcome to come see mine pm me. My reatta had the pack your looking at the top does work I used it. The dash buttons do kinda suck

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2015 1850LS and have nothin' but smiles. I'm a mostly fair weather fisherman so it is all I need. When trolling I have only had water come over the bow once and that was because I had a 300lb guy up front. Floor storage for rods isn't the best but I really like being able to have the option to fold out the casting platform or keep the walkway open. When the kids are with fishing I never sit down so I set my two rods in holders up front then help the kids in back and I can run back and forth without having to step up on the platform to grab my rod. We double tow with a camper too and any longer boat and we'd be over 75ft.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2012 Reata 1850 RS, but I have a Yammy on mine. The bimini top I use quite a bit in the summer time when I have my 2 little kids with. Great boat, no issues at all other than the snaps for the snap in carpet pulling through the fiberglass. Now I have to set stuff on the snaps or my carpet acts like a flag in the wind. The dash setup is probably the only downfall on the boat as you don't have much for room for graphs. I just have a HDS 7 gen 3 in the dash and one on the bow.

Dominator175

I have a 2016 Reata 1850 and really like it. It handles Sakakawea just fine and I like to fish in the big rollers. Saying that, it will take an occasional wave over the bow with spot lock but not enough to prevent me from fishing in as big of waves as spotnlock can keep me on. The lower bow does not catch as much wind as a true deep v either which can be a big benefit.

if I fished Sak exclusively I would go with a true deep v but I like it better for an all around boat.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2014 Reata LE with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Love the boat wish I had a little more hp. We fish in any conditions. Late last year had sleet and wind we were out about 22 miles. Great ride and handles great also. At 72 this is probably my last new boat. Very happy with it.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
does anyone have a 150 verado on theirs? What prop are you using and how is the performance?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75