Fish scents and attractants

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your opinions, experiences, favorite brand fish attractants. Looking to try some new ones on cranks n jigs. I can't seem to find one thats better than the other, and fairly confident they're more of a confidence booster for me, vs the fish.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried that shit once it ended up in the bottom of my tackle box and all over the boat. It went in the garbage when I got back to shore. I feel if a guy can feel the bite you will have the hook set before it has a chance to spit the lure do to lack of taste.

nybs

Honored Member
I like using Gulp 3” minnow grub when jigging. Not sure if the scent makes them work better than something like a walleye assassin or non-scented twister tail??? I haven’t used any other types of scents but they must help in dirty water based on what some of the cat fishermen use???

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
It makes a difference with panfish. I've used scented bass baits and both perch and gills love them. They would choose the scented bait over unscented every time. Walleyes seem to like certain scents when the water warms up above 60° but that's just my personal opinion.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
I like Berkley Powerbait Attractant when fishing something like jigs, bobbers with live bait or Lindy rigs in situations where the bait is not moving very quickly because it's very soluble in water and washes off quickly. I'm confident it improves walleye catches at times and never detracts walleyes............probably more so in a river environment where there's current that spreads the scent trail in my experience. I also spray GULP! Alive! on plastics and I'm trying a scent similar to Pro Cure this year for cranks and plastics that's a bit more viscous and will stay on an artificial bait longer.
Although walleyes are primarily visual feeders, taste and smell (as well as sound) do play a part. I'm convinced that scents can help catch more walleyes at times.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to use Baitmate all the time when I was a kid. I think it truly worked for crappie. Never was too sure on walleye.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use gulp spray on everything ice fishing boat fishing shore fishing it's a curse but I think it works

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad has a bottle of some garlic scented stuff. Snickered at us last year, telling us that he’s going to catch all the fish. I honestly think he got blanked until I gave him my rod that he hadn’t touched yet.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I read the title and before I clicked onto the thread I thought maybe this was about The Silver Dollar in Mandan vs. Deja Vu in Minneapolis.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used Berkley walleye attractant on plastics here and there. Can't say for sure if it's worked compared to using nothing. Gulp plastics seem to work a bit better. Snook and spotted trout fishing, I'd say gulp outcatches regular plastics 5-1.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
had a bottle of Dr. juice in my boat that my Dad mistaken for sun block once, he rubbed it on his hands and then all over his face;:;badidea

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Roosterfish that's funny

used it lake trout fishing in ontario a few years ago smelled and tasted it for weeks, my otter fish smelled like it for a couple years.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had some good luck on walleyes with WD-40. For bluegills, anise scented baits are tough to beat.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Berkley Sparkle Scales I think its called. Its thick like toothpaste, I like the green stuff. I've caught a lot of fish over the years on it, but its hard too find in stores.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a little different spin. Three of us all vertical jigging in 20 plus feet. Two of us pulling fish out like crazy. One not getting any bits had just put on alot of sun screen. He must of had it on his jig and minnow also. I had him wash his hands and lure off with WD 40. He started catchin fish immediately. Go figure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62