Line counters

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will be camped at Indian Hills next week for a few days of walleye fishing, I am debating whether on not to take the plunge into long trolling rods, line counter reels, and lead core line. Is anyone having much luck RECENTLY pulling crankbaits with this type of setup? I don't mind spending the money so much but they are just one more thing to store, transport, yadayada! Your experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't imagine you won't be able to catch plenty of fish bottom bouncing then

The_owl

Established Member
Will be camped at Indian Hills next week for a few days of walleye fishing, I am debating whether on not to take the plunge into long trolling rods, line counter reels, and lead core line. Is anyone having much luck RECENTLY pulling crankbaits with this type of setup? I don't mind spending the money so much but they are just one more thing to store, transport, yadayada! Your experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

one of the biggest advantages, in my opinion, to cranking, is that if/when you’re live baiting and it’s slow, cranking let’s you cover a lot of water FAST.

Trolling 2-2.8 mph, you can still watch your graph and try different depths and it can allow you find fish.

Honestly, cranking has made me too impatient to jig or BB anymore - Lol.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have been pulling cranks on that lake all year. I do every year. It is my go to on that lake. Right now as the fish are transitioning out to deeper water and scatter, it's a great option. As previously mentioned, the amount of water you can cover it so much more than just using BB. I find that on many days when guys aren't catching fish on spinners, slow death, etc, that I am still catching lots of fish on cranks. In short, I would always have cranking rods in my arsenal when fishing Sak.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Plus you can always use your conventional spinning gear with cranks until you decide if you want to invest in actual cranking set ups. I did that the last 2 years to see if I really enjoyed pulling cranks. This year got 2 baitcasting set ups that I only use for pulling cranks. Just like H82 said...can cover so much more water pulling cranks...and the baitcasters are so easy to use for cranks...IMO. Good luck...

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been pulling cranks on that lake all year. I do every year. It is my go to on that lake. Right now as the fish are transitioning out to deeper water and scatter, it's a great option. As previously mentioned, the amount of water you can cover it so much more than just using BB. I find that on many days when guys aren't catching fish on spinners, slow death, etc, that I am still catching lots of fish on cranks. In short, I would always have cranking rods in my arsenal when fishing Sak.

How are you getting ur cranks deeper? leadcore? snap weights?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
How are you getting ur cranks deeper? leadcore? snap weights?

I do both actually. Some days it seems like they bite leadcore vs fireline, not sure why. My choice however, on using lead core vs snap weights depends on some variables. Size of lure, depth I'm trying to achieve, speed, and how many boats are in the area. For example, if I'm in a crowded area say 30' deep trying to get #5's down there, I could let out 180' of line(lead core+leader) or I could put on a 3oz snap weight and maybe only need 50-60' of line out.

I also find that in late summer as we get hot water temps like we do now, speed kills. lead core limits how fast you can go. I like 2 or 3oz snap weights because I can kick up the speed to 2.5-3mph and still keep my baits down without having to let out a huge amount of line.

The other option of course is to go with a bigger crank like a reef runner 800 or flicker minnow #11. I think on the dive curve from Precision Trolling, it take close to 200' of line to get a reef runner down 30'. Add that 3oz snap weight about 20-30' in front of that bait and now you only need maybe 60'(not sure the exact amount), but you see my point.

Lead core and snap weight both are fun and help me get more fish in the boat, and if you implement them, with some practice you will see the pro's and cons in both. Each have their own situation that they shine.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if you're running a 30 ft leader between your snapweight and lure, do you end up just hauling the fish in by hand the last 30 ft?

Just curious...

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind, I was thinking of in-line weights.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if you're running a 30 ft leader between your snapweight and lure, do you end up just hauling the fish in by hand the last 30 ft?

Just curious...

I unhook the snap weight, quick and easy

I have never used lead core but that's all I do this time of year on sak is pull cranks with snap weights and you would be surprised the action ive caught walleye, sager, bass, goldeye, pike, catfish off the top of my hea din 30ft pulling cranks

research methods 50+2 , 50/50 and then play with your own lead and see which one triggers fish and gets the bites.

- - - Updated - - -

theres so much data out there but io have caught fish using 1 up to 4oz weights with as much as 50ft lead and minimal as 20ft lead i will use differnt weights to avoid useing planer boards keep some right below the boat and then get some further back out like 100ft. play around find a nice big flat where you can go for a long ways and have fun

- - - Updated - - -

as far as line counters two options. you can get the clip on line counters, $15 bucks and move them rod to rod or if you go the line counter reels make 100% sure they fill the reel with enough mono backing to fill the spool if they do not those line counters go off revolutions and it wil be off. i always text mine walk 100ft in the yard and measure it excatly. on eis like 98.5ft other is like 99ft so close enough for me but i have heard of reels being way off.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may have to give this a try this week.

Great, like I need more crap for tackle. I've used in-line weights with a 5-7 ft leader before, but this sounds like fun.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
any specific brand/kind snap that you guys run, that you fine works better?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I didn't get the line counters on my baitcasters...thought I would learn the basics of baitcasters before I think about the line counter thing...but I see the benefits of using a line counter. Right now I let out line by "feel"...depending on size of crank bait/depth I want/speed trolling.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grad some spare line or even small rope, get on youtube, and learn the double uni knot. It’s simple once you get the hang of it, and works well. Plus, no metal in-line, so it all reels up awesome.

I’ve done 4-6 reels this spring and that’s what I recommend.

Good luck!

If you have a damaged lead core line, do you cut out the bad spot and use the double uniknot to splice it back together? If so, do you remove the lead core in the knot area and if so how do you remove the lead core?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have offshore and scheels and honestly i prefer the scheels ones much cheaper and actually just like them better

- - - Updated - - -

right now is my favorite time to pull cranks when its 85-90 out the kids dont last long in the boat so we go to one of our big flats rip cranks for 2 hours usually end up with 5 walleyes or so 5 bass couple goldeyes and lots of smiles.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so I picked up some snap weights and pulled cranks. Action wasn't fast and furious until we ran into the smallmouth, but I did catch a 28 inch eye . Worked well for us!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76