Line counters

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I want to get my first crank pulling rigs. I have a couple of rods that may not be perfect but as a beginner they are what I am going to use to help cut down the cost. They are 7’ MH just for info. What works LS you guys recommend as a reel to get started. I see in the Scheels foster no catalog that just came out the Scheels Outfitter 8 Series for $40, normally $60. Is that an ok way to go?

if anyone has a couple of reels they aren’t using and wanted to sell I’d be interested in that too.

As always, thanks for the info and advice!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. are you running braid?
2. are you running mono?
3. are you running leadcore?

all i would run a diawa LC3 (lc5 if you can find them are just as good, cabelas special same thing as the lc3 with 2 extra ball bearings)

1 & 2 i would run a size 27 and for 3 i would run a 47... with leadcore and braid be sure to put some mono backer on these reels

main thing for leadcore you need a bigger reel because of it's diameter and the 47 will hold 10 colors of lead. main thing you want to do with any line counter reel is be sure they are filled up or the LC won't count as well. i tried the scheels/okuma reels a few years ago when i started cranking and found out quickly the counters were junk and would stop counting a lot of the time

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
What's the reason for mono backing on leadcore? I've never used backing in all the years I've fished with leadcore and I run leadcore a lot. I've always gotten 10 colors of 18# test leadcore on a size 30 reel and he doesn't need a size 47 reel to do it.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okuma Coldwater reels are amazing as well. Between them and Diawa Lexa it’s pretty hard to go wrong. I got tired of taking reels to scheels due to bad reset buttons.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone tried the Abu Garcia Alphamar linecounter reels? They don’t make them anymore but have some at the local bait shop. They seem to be a solid feel.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the reason for mono backing on leadcore? I've never used backing in all the years I've fished with leadcore and I run leadcore a lot. I've always gotten 10 colors of 18# test leadcore on a size 30 reel and he doesn't need a size 47 reel to do it.

i had to respool all of my diawa's because the leadcore would spin on the spool, no problems since i put backer on.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone tried the Abu Garcia Alphamar linecounter reels? They don’t make them anymore but have some at the local bait shop. They seem to be a solid feel.
I wouldn't be afraid of those, Garcia makes great reels

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
i had to respool all of my diawa's because the leadcore would spin on the spool, no problems since i put backer on.
Put a small piece of tape on the initial loop or two of leadcore to the spool and the leadcore won't spin. A small piece of double sided tape on the spool prior to filling it with leadcore works very well too.

Last edited:

eliminator

Honored Member
Garcia actually makes a smaller line counter reel that works quite well for braid. It has an electronic counter on it and I have been using them for a couple years now and have not had any problems with them. They are not big enough for lead core but make for nice walleye reels for crankin.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a small piece of tape on the initial loop or two of leadcore to the spool and the leadcore won't spin. A small piece of double sided tape on the spool prior to filling it with leadcore works very well too.

I know this works, I just don't like tape, glue, etc and a couple wraps of mono works just as well. i only put enough on to have 1 layer, plus it gives you a kind of "alarm" if you are getting spooled you can know you are close to running out of line

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
STAY THE HELL AWAY from the lower end Okuma and Scheels labeled Okuma made line counters. They have an exceptionally crappy drag system. I bought two of them a couple years ago because they were on sale. It didn't take but two trips out with them before I returned both. Long story, but both reels would see the drag loosen as I was pulling cranks. Nothing like having 300 yds of braid strung out behind the damn boat.

Daiwa makes good linecounter reels, I'd start there.

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
STAY THE HELL AWAY from the lower end Okuma and Scheels labeled Okuma made line counters. They have an exceptionally crappy drag system. I bought two of them a couple years ago because they were on sale. It didn't take but two trips out with them before I returned both. Long story, but both reels would see the drag loosen as I was pulling cranks. Nothing like having 300 yds of braid strung out behind the damn boat.

I agree that Daiwa does make good linecounters and I have several that I like but I've never had trouble with the drags on my Scheels branded Okuma's either and I have several of them as well. I have half dozen or more Cabela's branded linecounter reels too and have never had trouble with them either although I always read claims to the contrary online.
I've spent many hours trolling cranks and have caught many walleyes on all of them. I oil them and clean them at least annually if not more often and other than a sticky counter itself which can usually be remedied by a shot of silicon lubricant, they've all always worked for me.
I guess I must be lucky.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I ended up picking the Diawa Sealine LC3 47 size. One from the local shop for $80 and one from Amazon for $83. Spooled them up with Suffix leadcore (non 832) in 27# test. I tied and taped the leadcore to the spool and it filled the reel up with no backing needed and the line counter is dead on.

Now I need to find a good quality small swivel to tie the end of the lead core to so I can attach the braid leader. Anyone recommend using a certain knot to tie the leadcore? Does the standard Palomar knot work? Do I need to strip out the lead first ?

- - - Updated - - -

I know guys that crank exclusively and grew up trolling the Great Lakes. They say to avoid Okuma reels as they are junk and don’t last. Many Scheels LC reels are made by Okuma so beware of those. I have Cabelas depthmaster reels and they seem to be holding up well (made by diawa I believe).

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
After running my Daiwa reels most of the past couple weeks, I grabbed a rod out of my collection with a Scheels (Okuma made) reel of the same size, etc for today's outing.

No fugging comparison, the Scheels reel annoyed me most of the damn day as the kids used the Daiwa reels. F&ck Okuma.

I might also add, the kids caught all the keeper sized eyes. I, using the Okuma, only caught 2 dinks. That's some pretty negative juju right there by Okuma.

Last edited:

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you see the Abu Garcia Alphamars at? I need one more to settle my OCD 😂

The_owl

Established Member
I ended up picking the Diawa Sealine LC3 47 size. One from the local shop for $80 and one from Amazon for $83. Spooled them up with Suffix leadcore (non 832) in 27# test. I tied and taped the leadcore to the spool and it filled the reel up with no backing needed and the line counter is dead on.

Now I need to find a good quality small swivel to tie the end of the lead core to so I can attach the braid leader. Anyone recommend using a certain knot to tie the leadcore? Does the standard Palomar knot work? Do I need to strip out the lead first ?

- - - Updated - - -

Grad some spare line or even small rope, get on youtube, and learn the double uni knot. It’s simple once you get the hang of it, and works well. Plus, no metal in-line, so it all reels up awesome.

I’ve done 4-6 reels this spring and that’s what I recommend.

Good luck!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have sealines and those cheap okumas (non Scheels branded) for extras. They work. "Remember with every baitcaster u own back off the drag at end of day. If u tighten your Shimano it will do the same thing. It just would take a couple years vs a week .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76