Strictly Sonar: Lowrance/Bird/Garmin

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, as a life long Lowrance user, I completely made the switch on the new boat to birds. I have a ton of learning to do still and have only gotten to use the Helix 10 SI G2N that was factory rigged on the dash. The new G3N's that were recently rigged have only been fired up in the garage. Using the G2N last fall a little, I did like the interface with the Ulterra, and once i got the 2d dialed in, I liked it every bit as much as my previous HDS units. Time will tell soon enough how the DI and SI compare when I get out in the next few weeks and start using them. The ability to adjust the contours based on actual water level is really nice. Haven't done any plotting yet but kind of plan on doing a little island mapping on the first outing when I'm breaking in the new 15 EFI pro-kicker. For reference, the old rig had a gen 1 HDS 8, a gen 2 HDS 8, and a Gen 2 HDS 10 all networked with SI/DI; so this is kind of a paradigm shift!

AaronJ, that's exactly how I'm rigged on the new Yar, two Helix 10 G3N's on the Dash and one Helix 10 G2N at the bow.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I Have 2 Lawrence units. One was mine a chirp 7 the other I'm not sure about. But I can't get the down scan and side image to come in clear. It looks like static all over. Down image works best, the side is really bad. How can I adjust it so its clear?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Strictly speaking about sonar/downscan. Which do you think is the best?

The fact you only want to consider the 2d sonar and downscan. That's more of a straight forward answer in my opinion. Lowrance has always held the edge over Hbird in these categories. Their new overlay options and "fish reveal" software should only help.

Not as experienced with Garmin. One thing you could start looking at are the aftermarket chirp transducers (Airmar) that are available to run with the Garmin units. A lot more options there that could really improve the 2D sonar separation. might start getting into the point of dimensioning returns depending on cost.

Square_Hammer

Established Member
What about the new hds live units with active imaging and up coming livesight? How do you think those compare to bird/garmin?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about the new hds live units with active imaging and up coming livesight? How do you think those compare to bird/garmin?

From the videos I have seen...no. The quality is that of the 1st gen Garmin Panoptics and not nearly as good as Livescope. Birds have yet to put out anything similar.

Square_Hammer

Established Member
Dang. I bought a live 16 inch. Havent had it on the water yet. Guess I might have to add a Garmin for livescope. The active imaging 3 in 1 ducer I think I'll like especially for fish reveal.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
- - - Updated - - -

Raise the transducer a bit, bet its washing out,[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, will give it a shot - even if I could get the ducer set to where sonar is readable at 10-15mph will save a lot of fish searching time!

- - - Updated - - -

I run all 3 brands.

I give a slight nod to the down imaging by Lowrance. Seem to have slightly better target separation.

I give a big nod to Birds for side imaging. I am interested in seeing how the down imaging with the built in MEGA ducer on the new Terrova works. The couple hours I had it out on Saturday I was impressed and it may beat the Lowrance down imaging with some tweaking of settings.

Garmin, for the pricepoint, is decent at both down and side imaging. Built in maps is where it shines. And, the ability to add Livescope...

All this being, said our next Yar build will have 3 Helix 10s.

Aaron...any feedback on the Lowrance tripleshot transducer? I've only had the new boat out once, but the side scan looked very clear...although disclaimer...first unit I've owned with side scan capability!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74