Salmon?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sounds like those Atlantics are harder to get going, but once established tend to be more adaptable to water temps and different food sources compared to Chinooks, they also can spawn more than once. Would be pretty cool to see them get established.

From what I gathered, SDGFP is hoping the Atlantic do a better job taking advantage of the gizzard shad in Lake Oahe.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: So I also sent this pic off to SDGFP and a fisheries guy I know over at NDGF. Both agree that it is indeed an Atlantic Salmon.

SO there you have it, Vollmer...if you would please. Change the name of this thread to "new state record, version II". Not only am I the person with the first confirmed catch of an Atlantic Salmon in ND, but until someone catches a bigger one...I also hold the record for largest Atlantic Salmon.

:;:rockit#$%^&>
In the presence of legends....

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Catch was never weighed on an official scale. No blurry video. NO RECORD. #FAKECATCH ;:;rofl

You sir, are a solid member of a very vocal, but small and quite undistinguished group I have heard from on this. No scale needed, it's the only one. I'll cede the size record to the very next person who catches one. Because I am just that kind of guy. :;:cheers

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard through the grapevine that there's a run on Atlantic after my initial catch. Maybe as many as 15 have been caught lately...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heart River?

I'm guessing scattered up and down the Missouri itself. These salmon are young'uns, so they aren't here to spawn. They be looking for snacks. I'll be interested to see how many stick around the Missouri, like up in the tailrace area, vs heading back south for the summer.

STEEL WOOL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the investigation of the state record Atlantic salmon complete. Rumor has it the same walleye net man also netted this salmon and confessed it was foul hooked. ��

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the investigation of the state record Atlantic salmon complete. Rumor has it the same walleye net man also netted this salmon and confessed it was foul hooked. ��

Yep, and I've been exonerated off all fishing violation accusations.

However, I was found guilty of catching the fish over Easter and for that I'm still serving a sentence. :;:huh:;:huh

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had to have a break from the Bolshevik Revolution and found this. Holy hell this kind of stuff intrigues and excites me! Any updates on this? How far upstream was this caught? Way too cool!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There’s a little mark there on its back by the dorsal fin. Pretty obvious wait really happened here.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had to have a break from the Bolshevik Revolution and found this. Holy hell this kind of stuff intrigues and excites me! Any updates on this? How far upstream was this caught? Way too cool!

It was caught on a jig and a minnow in about 4 ft of water near Fox Island in Bismarck. Oddly, I don't think I heard of any being caught this past spring, even though I would have thought the remaining Atlantics would have been charging upriver again last March/April. Then again, how many of us walleye lovers would even recognize them? I'm not even sure if they have put any more of them in the system since then.

- - - Updated - - -

There’s a little mark there on its back by the dorsal fin. Pretty obvious wait really happened here.

You shush, we all know I don't possess the skill it takes to snag an elusive fish.

Did snag an aggressive channel cat the other day tho. And then 20 minutes later I landed his twin on a shadrap in a legit predatory attack. He was tasty.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The boat ramp creek could be an awesome deal if the flow were somehow increased

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104