Salmon?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so when I was out fishing last weekend, I caught what I thought looked like a salmon, but it didn't have the black gums of the chinook, so we thought it was a smaller and uncolored rainbow trout. However, when I showed a pic to some other avid anglers, they seemed convinced it was an atlantic salmon. Which is possible since SD stocked some in Oahe last year.

salmon.jpg

So what say our armchair fisheries biologists?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
how long is that??

not gonna try your hand at smoking it eh?

cool catch regardless

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i hope they take off like they think they are going to with high water it should help

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
how long is that??

not gonna try your hand at smoking it eh?

cool catch regardless

About 14 inches, so not very big. Scrappy little bugger though. It was caught on a blue/white jig tipped with a minnow in about 4 ft of water. There was no mistaking it for a walleye bite as he really nailed that jig.

- - - Updated - - -

i hope they take off like they think they are going to with high water it should help

I read up on SD's stocking program, with an initial stocking of ~10,000 fish last year, and expecting around 7-8k this year, I'm thinking it is more of a supplement to the current chinook fishery than it is a full blown attempt to start a whole new fishery. Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't sound like a lot of fish.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish our G&F in ND would try something in Sak besides Chinook. I wonder if they stocked a bunch of steelhead or browns every year they would do better than Chinook.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
At one point, I believe they stocked coho salmon as well. Like way back in the 80s. Not sure when exactly, or why, that program ground to a halt.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know they did stock cuthroats back in the 90s caught one that would have been the state record 2 days before, that was in the tailgate neat looking fish

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: So I also sent this pic off to SDGFP and a fisheries guy I know over at NDGF. Both agree that it is indeed an Atlantic Salmon.

SO there you have it, Vollmer...if you would please. Change the name of this thread to "new state record, version II". Not only am I the person with the first confirmed catch of an Atlantic Salmon in ND, but until someone catches a bigger one...I also hold the record for largest Atlantic Salmon.

:;:rockit#$%^&>

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well shit is there any pics of the hook in the mouth ........... haha j/k

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2zw1s1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm jealous and have to hate you now

in all seriousness - that's pretty awesome

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
well shit is there any pics of the hook in the mouth ........... haha j/k

heh heh heh, no...and I ain't taking your lie detector test either.

- - - Updated - - -

note, there are even fewer of them in the system than I earlier posted. The SDGFP fella that called said they stocked 4,000 of them in Lake Oahe. So it's not going to be easy to dethrone my record!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sounds like those Atlantics are harder to get going, but once established tend to be more adaptable to water temps and different food sources compared to Chinooks, they also can spawn more than once. Would be pretty cool to see them get established.

STEEL WOOL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Catch was never weighed on an official scale. No blurry video. NO RECORD. #FAKECATCH ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74