Tools on the boat

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought this 10+ years ago and have had good luck. I also have a prop wrench and spare plugs in a Tupperware thing. Those are sealed in a vacuum sealer bag.
Screenshot_20190430-184554.jpg

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All silliness aside, I used to keep a small first aid kit, side cutter, and a cheapo harbor freight tool kit aboard, Instead of jumpers, I cut two 10 ga wires, red and black, about ten feet long and put #10 eyelets on the ends to accommodate the wing nuts on batteries. Took up way less room then jumpers.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Everyone is saying jumper cables but I have a deal in my boat where I just turn a switch and it converts the 36 volt to 12 volt in case the starting battery goes dead. It came pre wired and rigged when I got the new boat. for some reason I don't remember who makes it but.... i'll take a picture of it next time im in the boat

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
BED31AC0-B51F-4462-B87A-BCBF97D0C6F0.jpeg
One of these, heat packs, BIC lighter/Zippo, whistle, mini swiss army knife, 5 shooters of fireball, and extra AA batteries (of which the emergency phone works off of) all in gallon sized zippered ziploc bag.

Last edited:

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
you should probably throw in at least 5 seasons of the red green show for when the fish aren't biting.

add in some basic electrical stuff, like connectors, crimp, wire. we've had to do some re-wiring out on the water.. probably not a big deal on a new boat, but older ones for sure.

Mgx2400

Honored Member
On mornings when it's this cold I'll bring my mr. Heater. Fingers get cold after touching those minnows. I would say they get cold after touching those fish but I don't catch any. :)

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just like not having the correct lure in the boat that the fish are biting on, murphy's law also says you will have every tool on board EXCEPT what you need at the moment.:cool:

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I got my new boat last year, I took everything out of the old and made a list. Combined it with some things I thought were missing and came up with this.

boat_list.JPG

Most of the tools are in one of these Plano boxes:

4875_34415_p1.jpg

Keep a towel, extra rain jacket, and some spare clothes in one of these dry bags:

s-l640.jpg

Sunscreen and bug spray go in a resealable bag.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest tool on a boat is always the buddy's new girlfriend that wants McDonalds.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
All silliness aside, I used to keep a small first aid kit, side cutter, and a cheapo harbor freight tool kit aboard, Instead of jumpers, I cut two 10 ga wires, red and black, about ten feet long and put #10 eyelets on the ends to accommodate the wing nuts on batteries. Took up way less room then jumpers.

I initially read this and thought "what a great idea", and have now reconsidered. A couple years ago I had to have the charging system on my Yamaha 4S fixed. It turned out to be the rectifier/regulator. After doing a little reading on this I found out that one of the easiest ways to wreck your rectifier is to disconnect your battery while the motor is running. And wouldn't you know it, I had done exactly that the previous year. Basically I went out with a dead battery and no jumper cables, so I temporarily replaced the starting battery with one of my trolling batteries to get the big motor started, thinking I'd be able to quickly swap the original starting battery back into place after the big motor was running. Uhh, no...as soon as I disconnected the battery the engine died, so I just went without an electric that day. Anyway, this was in the fall and I didn't think much of it until the next spring when I started having troubles with the starting battery not holding a charge during the day.

Anyway, the moral to the story is that while you'd be able to remove the nuts and install this to your trolling batteries, you would probably not be able to attach to start the big motor because you'd be running the risk of interrupting the circuits and frying your rectifier/regulator while removing this homemade jumper system after you get the big motor started.

Maybe there's a mechanic on here who can elaborate on this better, but what you're talking about seems awfully similar to what fried my electrical system when I'm thinking there's a risk of breaking the circuit between the motor and battery while the engine is running.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77