2019 Deer Season and Tags Set

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tag numbers are set, and wow look at those increases to the mule deer tags. I remember the thread last December about how the quality of those hunts have gone down based on mature buck numbers seen. That doesn't look to improve anytime soon. I still enjoy getting out there regardless of antler size, but expectations will need to be adjusted.

Deer Season Set, Apply Online

Thu, 05/02/2019

North Dakota’s 2019 deer season is set, with 65,500 licenses available to hunters this fall, 10,350 more than last year.
In total, antlered mule deer licenses increased by 450 from last year, antlerless mule deer by 700, antlered whitetail by 700, antlerless whitetail by 1,250, "any antlered" by 3,150 and "any antlerless" by 4,100.
In addition, muzzleloader licenses increased by 184 and restricted youth antlered mule deer licenses increased by 45.
Mule deer doe licenses are available in unit 4A for the first time since 2011.

Last edited:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I really wish they posted the statistics for nonresident draw odds with the residents draw odds. Especially since they don't let us buy points only. I don't want to accidentally draw a tag with that many tags awarded!

On another note, that point creep for Muzzleloader buck tags is unreal! Less than 30% odds with 10+ points.....yeeesh. And 2,500 new people jumping into the pool for 500 total tags. They need to add more columns to the chart; I wonder what the max point holder had. Only 15 years ago that was an every other year tag. If you're hoping in for the first time this year, it will likely take you 15 years to get one of them......

Good luck in the draw this year everyone!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Applied for rifle and muzzy. Expecting neither for both.

Drew a 3A3 rifle last year, switching over to applying to 4C, antlered mule deer.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
PP for me. With the ND moose hunt, MN archery and Montana mulie tag my wife would murder me with another tag. Might not even deer hunt depending on how moose goes

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really wish they posted the statistics for nonresident draw odds with the residents draw odds. Especially since they don't let us buy points only. I don't want to accidentally draw a tag with that many tags awarded!

Odds are extremely bad. With a measly 1% of tags going to NRs, even with 10 points your odds would be poor.

Drew a 3A3 rifle last year, switching over to applying to 4C, antlered mule deer.

Just my opinion, but 4C is highly overrated!

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm gonna have a mess this year! After 7 years I should finally draw my region G tag in Wy for mule deer, along with a 14yo who will have a youth tag, my wife and I both have 7 pts for muzzy, 3 each for rifle, and add in another kid applying for a rifle tag and 6 of us getting bow tags, OH!!! I also have 5 pts for speed goat! Now before you rip me apart out of a house of 6 we filled only 2 tags last year so we don't just go blazing to kill everything we see. Everybody in the house manages and shoots for mature deer but we love to be outdoors hunting.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm gonna have a mess this year! After 7 years I should finally draw my region G tag in Wy for mule deer, along with a 14yo who will have a youth tag, my wife and I both have 7 pts for muzzy, 3 each for rifle, and add in another kid applying for a rifle tag and 6 of us getting bow tags, OH!!! I also have 5 pts for speed goat! Now before you rip me apart out of a house of 6 we filled only 2 tags last year so we don't just go blazing to kill everything we see. Everybody in the house manages and shoots for mature deer but we love to be outdoors hunting.
Remember, you can now just get a point without actually being in the deer drawing.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drew last year. I've been on an ever-other basis for my unit. It's been awesome having venison again, but I won't hold my breath. The beautiful thing about Nodak is there are plenty of things to kill and eat from September until January!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to have to cross more than my fingers this year

Current Bonus Points
TypePoints
Deer0
Muzzleloader0
Pronghorn0

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
After 7 years I should finally draw my region G tag in Wy for mule deer

That's sweet! I'll have 8 points this year and have wanted to do G as well but have a few other ideas as well. G would be awesome though!!!!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can now buy just a point without entering the draw.

Unless something changed very recently, I believe that is only an option for residents. I know that residents can, but I can't even find information about purchasing points for residents anywhere on the NDGF website. I will say that I spend a lot of time researching hunting in several states and the NDGF website is painfully hard to find information. It almost seems like they take too simple of an approach when presenting information and a lot is missing. For this reason, I could be entirely wrong so please point me in the right direction if I am!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just sent the game and fish 120.00 and I hope they keep it all.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
hate to tell you but 7 points for muzzle loader is nothing . You might draw in 5-6 years

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
why don’t they shift more tags to muzzy?

seems like an easy way to reduce success (not during rut) and make lots of hardcore hunter people happy

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
why don’t they shift more tags to muzzy?

seems like an easy way to reduce success (not during rut) and make lots of hardcore hunter people happy

get rid of the inlines and you will eliminate a good portion of applicants

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

- - - Updated - - -

state flag

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless something changed very recently, I believe that is only an option for residents. I know that residents can, but I can't even find information about purchasing points for residents anywhere on the NDGF website. I will say that I spend a lot of time researching hunting in several states and the NDGF website is painfully hard to find information. It almost seems like they take too simple of an approach when presenting information and a lot is missing. For this reason, I could be entirely wrong so please point me in the right direction if I am!

Excellent point. I was referring to residents. Not sure if its an option for NR.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76