2019 M6 Moose

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't been on in a while due to changing jobs and other family obligations, anyways after 24 attempts I finally got lucky and drew a M6 Any Moose tag. I have started to scout already and would definitely appreciate if anyone sees a bull could let me know! I figure if I start looking now I will maybe have few options vs. knowing about 1or 2 bulls and if they get taken out starting from scratch!

Thanks

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do realize that with those long legs that they can wander a lot of miles in a day. A lot of time between now and hunting season, they could be hundreds of miles from where you find them scouting them this early.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't hurt to keep tabs on them, and in my experience most of the older moose generally stay in 10 mile radius if they like the area. 2.5 year olds roam like crazy

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
so let me get this straight people get pissed because someone asks for moose/locations 1 week before season, now we got guys discouraging scouting this early...the guy is preparing for a once in a lifetime hunt already putting work in trying to make landowener contacts doing it the right way so he doesn't get accused of being lazy...… wow you literally cannot win on this site anymore....

Buckmaster 81, good luck wish I could help you in M6 but I cannot.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
To further expand: With this being a once in a lifetime, and DREAM hunt for me I plan to make the most of it and be as prepared as possible. I've already re-sited my bow for heavier arrows and have been looking at digiscope set ups. I don't really like the idea of having a once in a lifetime tag and going out and thumping the first animal I see....

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you see anything in my post telling him not to scout???...…… Nope didn't say a thing about him not scouting early. By all means scout away, the gas company will love you for it. Oh and shoot 2 as there are plenty out there.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d skip scouting

the interweb will alert you of where the biggest mooses are ;)

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn’t hear you on the radio this morning and wondered why.

Ill keep in touch on bulls

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems you can’t post anything without some way or another getting criticized.
Good luck buckmaster! I hope you get a nice one!!!

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is M6 unit exactly. I travel for work daily and will definitely post on here!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't know where M6 is located and am too lazy right now to look it up on G&F website. Have been along on many moose hunts. Scouting at this time IMO is more about finding where moose like to hang out, more than finding a specific bull, and making contact with landowners who may be able to help you out closer to the actual season. It is true that they do move occasionally. The more contacts you have the better the likelihood that someone will contact you when they know of moose you may be interested in. I do know that once the season starts it is useless to just start walking, hoping you will find one. There are quite a few moose in several areas of the state but they are not in every little patch of cover. You will most likely put a lot of miles on your vehicle.

Don't get hung up on "I won't shoot the first moose I come across." Did that one year hunting deer First buck I came across, not 1/2 hour into the season, was a big one. Talked myself into not shooting the first buck I saw and watched a real good one run across the field. Too late it occurred to me that "Damn, he'a nice one." Never saw a bigger buck the rest of the season.

Good luck and have fun.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Worked up the energy to look up the M6 unit. Holy Moly you have a lot of territory to look over. Biggest unit in the state it appears to me but I'm sure you will find a moose with the proper amount of time put in and hooking up with enough contacts. My experience with moose is that most people are more than willing to help a moose hunter out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your request is noted. We do have moose that wander through ever so often. Will contact if any thing shows up.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also drew a moose tag but in M11. Will mix in some scouting with work trips to the oil patch this summer then hit it hard in August. Right now I'm more focused on my bow; increasing weight, buying heavier arrows, getting muscle memory back. Will be adjusting my sights in a few weeks once I feel solid pulling back.

One thing I am not sure of is the size of moose I should be looking for... I know ND moose do not get to the size you see in Canada and Alaska but what is an average bull here and what I can expect. I guess I will be finding some of that out while scouting.

I have no problems shooting the first one I see if it is (what i will figure out later) a shooter.. Especially if we call it in while archery hunting vs shooting one we spot off the road.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
M11 is the best unit for bigger moose from what I hear. Confluence area get in there via boat!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone mentioned find areas they like. That is 100% true. I have thousands of videos and pics of moose and a lot of sheds. I was seeing 8-10 moose everyday this fall and winter. But if I told you the unit and that’s all the Information you had I would not be suprised if u looked for 3 days straight and didn’t see a single moose.

- - - Updated - - -

They love willows. Love them

Sunflower fields are like crack cocaine to them.

Its also amazing how a 1k lb black animal can disappear.

That being said 1k lb animals leave tracks. Sour spots around cattails and dry sloughs will have tracks if there are moose around. You can spot those going 60 mph down gravel roads.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75