Zander spawn in nests

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to study up on this. I wonder what they taste like? I know it was a huge argument when they tried stocking them in the 80s. I even seen a River Monster episode where Jeremy Wade was catching these and it looked like a blast. What is the downside of these fish other that they are ferocious predator?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
They later found out it was possible they could transfer a virus accross the pond. I forgot the name of the virus.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to study up on this. I wonder what they taste like? I know it was a huge argument when they tried stocking them in the 80s. I even seen a River Monster episode where Jeremy Wade was catching these and it looked like a blast. What is the downside of these fish other that they are ferocious predator?

They taste just like a walleye, at least under similar conditions. If you order commercial walleye for a restaurant sometimes they will sub Zander when Canadian stocks aren’t producing the sizes and numbers restaurants and grocery stores want. After that started happening it told me there’s something shady about what’s going on with the walleye fisheries. I haven’t sold walleye ever since and don’t plan to again.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the time it's Pollock being sold as Walleye around here.

Either that or it's Walleye bought out of the trunk of a Native's car.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nd was the only state that wasn't such a pussy. Bottom line. Stock some more please. This time put em in devil �� lake

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
NO! ND burned bridges with every state in the Missouri River basin when it stocked Zander into Spiritwood. Not only may they carry diseases that can affect walleye (at least), but isn't there also a possibility of them cross breeding and mucking up the genetics of our much beloved walleyes? Note, ND also burned its bridges with our neighbors in the Hudson's Bay drainage when it stocked striped bass in Devils Lake.

Neither of these justify how shitty our neighbors treat ND over water, but it surely isn't a one-way street either. Then again, who knows...maybe it was intended to be a not-so-subtle poke at them?

I have to think this history may also be a part of why SD didn't consult with ND over the stocking of Atlantic Salmon into Lake Oahe.

- - - Updated - - -

Nd was the only state that wasn't such a pussy. Bottom line. Stock some more please. This time put em in devil �� lake

Note, similar thoughts are why we have fricking carp in ND. They are European, afterall.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76