state record walleye

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't the fish confiscated? Probably on someone's sidewall already.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact they let him keep it is really kind of strange. Illegally obtained fish/animals are generally not given back.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog found some fish remains on a run last Saturday, neighbors still can’t open their windows

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree to let it die, and I feel as though the record is obsolete at this point. There is no reason to fight this to have another tainted record in the books. People were butt-hurt enough over it last time. That being said, I echo what others are saying about being able to keep it. If this fish was disqualified because of speculation of being snagged, why was he able to keep it? Either you're innocent or you're guilty, right? So with this logic, if I go out and shoot the state record whitetail deer 4 minutes after legal light, even though I have a tag and it is within the calendar season, and I get caught and it was proven that the deer was taken after the legal time-frame, do I still get to keep the deer?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been over this just like everyone else, but I'll give the guy credit for sticking to his guns. If I felt it was a legal catch and had been slandered throughout the state and nation I'd want my name cleared too. I mean the guy was on the main page of Fox News being called a liar. The longer it drags on the more it turns into an uglier situation for everyone involved.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why let him keep it if they believed it might have been snagged? I'm no attorney but I'm guessing that the evidence wasn't there to prove in court that he did snag it, thus being illegal. But a walleye record isn't determined in court so they don't need that kind of evidence. They had enough evidence in their mind that it was snagged but not enough evidence to take him to court. Kind of like OJ Simpson. Couldn't convict him of murder but had enough evidence to sue him for wrongful death.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been over this just like everyone else, but I'll give the guy credit for sticking to his guns. If I felt it was a legal catch and had been slandered throughout the state and nation I'd want my name cleared too. I mean the guy was on the main page of Fox News being called a liar. The longer it drags on the more it turns into an uglier situation for everyone involved.

A lot of people stick to their guns even if they know they are wrong. Lance Armstrong.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I snagged a nice walleye once in the corner of the mouth, my buddy was as shocked as I was. Its a joke we use to explain my normal ineptness to catch nice walleye, or most walleye in general.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going to gather signatures for a measure removing all state records pertaining to anything and everything. Heading to NDSU to recruit signature gatherers now.

You might want to take a few phone books and a bag of weed

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why let him keep it if they believed it might have been snagged? I'm no attorney but I'm guessing that the evidence wasn't there to prove in court that he did snag it, thus being illegal. But a walleye record isn't determined in court so they don't need that kind of evidence. They had enough evidence in their mind that it was snagged but not enough evidence to take him to court. Kind of like OJ Simpson. Couldn't convict him of murder but had enough evidence to sue him for wrongful death.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of people stick to their guns even if they know they are wrong. Lance Armstrong.
My thoughts exactly!!

- - - Updated - - -

IMO the G and F handled it exactly the way it should have been.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact they let him keep it is really kind of strange. Illegally obtained fish/animals are generally not given back.

Have you not ever accidentally snagged a walleye that missed your crank or jig that was in the 16" - 20" range and put it in your livewell or did you release it knowing it was illegally caught? Not much difference.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope like hell someone catches a new fatty this upcoming spring.

In the mouth and with about 75 impartial strangers as witness.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I remember correctly he got his fish back because he was talking about suing to get it back and the G&F probably didn't have all the evidence they needed or want take the time and expense to litigate the thing.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I remember correctly he got his fish back because he was talking about suing to get it back and the G&F probably didn't have all the evidence they needed or want take the time and expense to litigate the thing.

The G&F seems to be riding the fence by allowing him to keep the fish they are suggesting that they don't have enough evidence to prove it was an illegal catch while at the same time publicly saying it was an illegal catch.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you not ever accidentally snagged a walleye that missed your crank or jig that was in the 16" - 20" range and put it in your livewell or did you release it knowing it was illegally caught? Not much difference.

I have, but they were always hooked in the head somewhere, never below the gills. Well may once or twice I've snagged a little on in the back, that'd we'd normally release anyway. But I'd probably keep it if were snagged in the back as it probably wouldn't be any good if it lives or will die anyway.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
The G&F seems to be riding the fence by allowing him to keep the fish they are suggesting that they don't have enough evidence to prove it was an illegal catch while at the same time publicly saying it was an illegal catch.

Or if you're not cynical you could say they don't have enough evidence to convict but they do have enough evidence that they don't have to put it in the record books because they unofficially keep the records of fish.

There is no law about what fish are records. The GNF makes their own rules. If you guys want to believe its a record, then guess what, its a record in your books. If it makes you feel better, make a book of records and your own rules. There is no law that the GNF has to keep records or how they keep them. Thus if you don't like it, too bad.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or if you're not cynical you could say they don't have enough evidence to convict but they do have enough evidence that they don't have to put it in the record books because they unofficially keep the records of fish.

There is no law about what fish are records. The GNF makes their own rules. If you guys want to believe its a record, then guess what, its a record in your books. If it makes you feel better, make a book of records and your own rules. There is no law that the GNF has to keep records or how they keep them. Thus if you don't like it, too bad.

By accusing him of a crime without charging him they might have opened themselves up to a lawsuit

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snagabeefie is dead in the water. I’m starting to wish they would have kept the fish and hung it in the G&F office as a “poached fish”. Volk needs to let this go. He’s really starting to make himself look like a... we’ll never mind.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77