Heading to Sakakwea in August

jb1069

My brother and I are heading to Sakakawea in mid to late August this year. We have fished Devils for the past 6 years or so and planning to try Sakakawea for the first time. I am looking for any information that may be helpful. Given the size of this lake even trying to pick a good starting spot is abit overwhelming. I have done some reading but being from Indiana its tough to get any first hand information. I am not looking for specific spots or anything like that. Just general areas. Is the west end better than the east east? Just questions like that. Places to stay for 4 to 5 days? That time of year fishing tactics. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
For that time of the year you can't go wrong with Indian Hills, Deep Water, Van Hook/Parshall bay area. That whole end of the lake produces. Generally you can find loads of eater size fish from 15-30 feet that time of year. Of course you can find shallower or deeper if you want to.

You can also catch fish that time of year in lots of ways. Cranking, riggin, jig raps, slow death, spinners etc.

I personally like to cover as much water as possible that time of year, so I love to let the cranks do their work in the 25-35' range. Use your electronics, looks for sharp breaks, areas where the main channel swings close to the bank, and find the smelt.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom bouncer with spinner or slow death. U will catch fish.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It can be a tough bite in late aug at times. But as mentioned deep water in the locations mentioned above.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
August in the west and central part of the lake can be the doldrums of the year in the heat. When is slows down there in August i always hear of the guys out east start catching them. If it was me I would start east because you can always come back west or boat over.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For that time of the year you can't go wrong with Indian Hills, Deep Water, Van Hook/Parshall bay area. That whole end of the lake produces. Generally you can find loads of eater size fish from 15-30 feet that time of year. Of course you can find shallower or deeper if you want to.

You can also catch fish that time of year in lots of ways. Cranking, riggin, jig raps, slow death, spinners etc.

I personally like to cover as much water as possible that time of year, so I love to let the cranks do their work in the 25-35' range. Use your electronics, looks for sharp breaks, areas where the main channel swings close to the bank, and find the smelt.

This about sums it up...

jb1069

Good choice - devils lake is a over fished capital of 12”ers

I would agree to that. I have seen the numbers and size greatly diminish just in the few years we have fished it.

- - - Updated - - -

Good choice - devils lake is a over fished capital of 12”ers

I would agree to that. I have seen the numbers and size greatly diminish just in the few years we have fished it.

jb1069

How is the fishing up there so far this year? Still looking for starting spots if anyone cares to share! Thanks!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a slaughter fest out there. Just use general walleye fishing tactics you're used to and you'll put limits in the well.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love that a person would think that has to be sarcasm when it isn’t. Or is it? Lol

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
August the fish will be deep 30' plus. You can pretty much fish anywhere on the whole lake. But if it was me I would stay at Indian Hills at that time of year. You can run just a little ways north to the mouth of Deep Water or on up further north towards pouch and skunk bay. Often times that time of year pulling reef runners in 30-35 feet of water nets me some damn nice sized fish

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
in 35' of water you would need about 80 feet of line to touch bottom with a 1/4 oz bouncer in august

I use about 3/4oz per 20 feet of depth. Bottom bouncers are far from finesse fishing

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75