New Rack & Pinion - Old Boat

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rack on my 1980 Lund broke yesterday (ironically after cleaning up the steering cable arm) and I’m needing to replace the rack and/or pinion. All I’m finding so far are kits complete with a new steering cable, but I don’t really want to add that expense to my repair at this time. Does anyone know where a guy can get a replacement rack and pinion without also replacing the steering cable? Are the racks and pinions all universal in size and length? Not finding too much on that either, but have been pretty busy at the hospital today (new baby, 10lbs 10oz and everyone’s healthy!!)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats and glad all is well. I aint got a clue on your boat stuff.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks!! No, it’s really the ~1”x2” square tube part that broke. It broke right where the steering cable gets bolted to this part. Here’s the kit I’ve been looking at:
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/rac...MIoOjU5PiZ4gIVFrbACh0VfgIzEAQYBSABEgKDPfD_BwE

not sure if I can buy all of it while excluding the steering cable though. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace the cable, but right now if I can save a few bucks, and the existing cable seems to be good to go, I’d rather do that.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
After further consideration, I think I’ll be switching over to a rotary steering system. Has anyone ever used this particular kit?

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/safe-t-qc-rotary-steering-kit-by-teleflex.html

- - - Updated - - -

AF39553A-BEF2-4C59-A378-8107DA3BA8CC.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86