Chest waders

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a new pair of insulated chest waders. I am only starting on year 3 of my neoprene waders and they have again ( like last ones) developed a leak in the crotch/hindend. They have always been dried properly and stored in a controlled climate. What have you had luck with that may make it a little longer or do I just wear some depends ?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dig deeper into your pocket and get a good pair of Simms.
Any recommendations on style/ model ? Haven't started looking yet. I would guess stockingfoot would be the way to go also?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like you can get the late model Exstream for about $200-300 off depending on where you buy.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, I'll look into. The neoprene just don't last,seams leak all the time.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat. Think my Neoprene days are over. First pair I had lasted a lot longer than the more recent ones. Only reason I got rid of it was because it stunk to high heaven.

I hate wearing the pair I have now. Have a leak in the crotch (of course) and they're bulky and don't fit well.

I've been contemplating getting some of the new hybrid waders. Something like the Sitka Delta waders. They're super expensive, but if they last and fit like the other Sitka stuff I have, they might be worth the investment.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neoprene bootfoots are nice and warm, and can be great for March and December in the Missouri River. But they're bulky, too warm for late spring and early fall, and are clunky to walk in.

Breathables are so nice - they're like walking around in sweatpants. A decent pair of regular wading boots feels like just wearing sneaks. So much nicer.

However, they are not insulated - need to dress warm underneath.

So, I have both.

Frog Toggs makes decent breathables. I have a pair of the Anura's.

Boots are Simms. Worth the money.

I stopped at Scheels in Fargo a couple weeks ago, and checked out the lower priced Simms waders, Freestones. They are half the money of their upper end ones, and I thought they were pretty decent. Maybe someday...

I have stopped expecting ANY waders to remain 100% dry though. In the past 20 years I have had maybe 8 or 10 pairs, and they all leak a little, before long. I don't get it - I'm not tough on them, but I guess it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Simms G3 and G4 breathables in the boot foot (not stocking foot) are a good cold weather compromise over neoprenes, though like has been said you'll still have to layer underneath but your feet will stay much warmer than stocking foots and wading boots. Alot of fly fishing guides I know that fish all winter swear by them. They aren't cheap though.

I stopped at Scheels in Fargo a couple weeks ago, and checked out the lower priced Simms waders, Freestones. They are half the money of their upper end ones, and I thought they were pretty decent. Maybe someday...

Don't bother getting the Freestones. They are toray fabric and not Gore-tex. Not to mention they are made overseas and don't have the same warranty as the Bozeman made Headwaters, G3's, G4's etc.

I have stopped expecting ANY waders to remain 100% dry though. In the past 20 years I have had maybe 8 or 10 pairs, and they all leak a little, before long. I don't get it - I'm not tough on them, but I guess it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I always chuckle at this comment. Guys say a high end wader is too expensive, yet they end up spending more in the long run replacing cheap or middle of the road waders over and over. Get a Gore-tex pair of Simms and I bet that over 20 years you'll own no more than two pairs. I'm on my 10th year of my Simms and one trip back to the factory for cleaning and reconditioning at no cost to me and I expect them to go at least a few more years and I'm in them for 20-30 days a year minimum.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Simms G3 and G4 breathables in the boot foot (not stocking foot) are a good cold weather compromise over neoprenes, though like has been said you'll still have to layer underneath but your feet will stay much warmer than stocking foots and wading boots. Alot of fly fishing guides I know that fish all winter swear by them. They aren't cheap though.

Don't bother getting the Freestones. They are toray fabric and not Gore-tex. Not to mention they are made overseas and don't have the same warranty as the Bozeman made Headwaters, G3's, G4's etc.

I always chuckle at this comment. Guys say a high end wader is too expensive, yet they end up spending more in the long run replacing cheap or middle of the road waders over and over. Get a Gore-tex pair of Simms and I bet that over 20 years you'll own no more than two pairs. I'm on my 10th year of my Simms and one trip back to the factory for cleaning and reconditioning at no cost to me and I expect them to go at least a few more years and I'm in them for 20-30 days a year minimum.

I appreciate your insights. The Freestones looked good, but I didn't know much of anything about the Toray fabric.

Too, you're not wrong about "get what you pay for". I hate the idea of dropping $500 on a pair, and having them still leak, but I also get tired of soggy feet. Between spring and fall, I fish probably 40 nights per year. Usually no more than 3 hours or so at a shot. I can't get a pair to stay waterproof for even one season, and I get two or three years out of a pair, before they're leaking bad enough to replace. I have tried to repair them, but it's like trying to get toothpaste back into the tube.

Maybe this fall, it'll be time to bite the bullet and step up to a real pair of high end. Still not convinced about the bootfoots versus stocking foot. For warmth, sure. But for comfort, well, they'd have to be awfully good boots. Standing still, on rocks for a couple hours, takes some decent footwear. I don't need the front zipper, and for an extra hundred, it's just one more spot to potentially leak.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Yeah the freestones maybe made oversees but do they hold up? They may be a cheaper fabric but they might perform good enough for most of us.

I’m in the market for a new pair of camo waders and have had a hard time finding a pair with good reviews for under $400.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB97BC3E-8B85-4950-BCA9-FAACE2851512.jpeg

I think these are the waders you’re looking for.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have worn both neoprene (bootfoot) and goretex (stockingfoot - Simms G3) waders and unfortunately can tell you that neither is bulletproof. If you plan to wear your goretex waders out to the duck pond, sit in them, kneel, walk through the brush, etc, etc. you will be significantly disappointed when they develop pinholes and your crotch and knees become damp. There’s no perfect answer. The goretex waders will require maintenance. However, get a pair of stockingfoot waders and a nice pair of boots, you won’t regret it - I’ve spent 12-16 hour days in my Simms and have no complaints. You can layer up clothes underneath when you need to and shed layers if you don’t. Some other companies that make solid breathables are Orvis and Patagonia, but again as discussed you will have to pay a hefty price.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with the Redingtons ? Got some pretty good reviews. They aren't gortex though and I am a believer in that. The $6-700 clams is getting the eyebrow raise from the Mrs. for some Simms.
I know I have spent that in about the last 8 yrs on neoprene though.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
the wader debate kills me as well. I had one pair of neoprene's that lasted about 10 yrs. They finally blew and I have bought a pair at least every other year for last 10. Not sure which route to go. I'm not hard on them either. Just wader fish walleyes and duck hunt some. I guess I always worried about warmth but maybe I need to sacrifice this for a tougher material??

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any Simms brand waders (yet), but any and all other gear that I own, with their name on it, is top quality. My favorite piece thus far might be the Rogue Fleece Hoody. They don't even call it waterproof. Just water resistant, but I have never gotten wet when wearing it, and boys, there's been some rain..

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
JayKay, after seeing sitka delta reviews, take the next 3 years Christmas and birthday gifts and wrap it into one pair of those. You wade enough to deserve em.... If that fails, Juanr's buying with his ill gotten biker money

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any Simms brand waders (yet), but any and all other gear that I own, with their name on it, is top quality. My favorite piece thus far might be the Rogue Fleece Hoody. They don't even call it waterproof. Just water resistant, but I have never gotten wet when wearing it, and boys, there's been some rain..

Maybe consider wearing Walmart hoodies and underwear instead of Simms and purchase Simms waders with the saved $$

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55