Amazon River Piranha Fishing

tomasz20

Established Member
Here are some of our highlights from the Amazon River and Jungle. Piranhas, Sloths, tucans, pink dolphins and much more ....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't believe I'd have gotten my fingers that close to the water when releasing the fish.

I know I'da used that big worm for bait not an appetizer.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure I would have tried the worm. Will eat a lot of things but that didn't even look good to me. Failed to see the thrill of fishing for piraña. More like fishing for stunted perch. Would have been interesting to see what of fish was lost. Appeared to be a big fish but never saw of no mention was made of the type of fish.

tomasz20

Established Member
Not sure I would have tried the worm. Will eat a lot of things but that didn't even look good to me. Failed to see the thrill of fishing for piraña. More like fishing for stunted perch. Would have been interesting to see what of fish was lost. Appeared to be a big fish but never saw of no mention was made of the type of fish.
Im an adventurous traveler and all the locals were eating those worms like crazy so I had to try and they tase like caramel believe it or not haha. And it the video it said that I hooked into a big stingray. It just stuck to the bottom and i could not get it to come up. That was 25lb braid and hook just straightened out. But I agree piranha fishing was very much like perch fishing. Soo many bites as well you could just feel them biting the bait the whole time.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Im an adventurous traveler and all the locals were eating those worms like crazy so I had to try and they tase like caramel believe it or not haha. And it the video it said that I hooked into a big stingray. It just stuck to the bottom and i could not get it to come up. That was 25lb braid and hook just straightened out. But I agree piranha fishing was very much like perch fishing. Soo many bites as well you could just feel them biting the bait the whole time.

I've never caught a stingray but I was fishing on the east coast one time in a river that varied from fresh water to saltwater depending on the movement of the tide. We were fishing an inlet that emptied into the ocean. About 50 yds away a guy began to play a big fish. It didn't take long and it was obvious it was a very big fish. After about 1/2 an hour he had the fish, stingray ,right next to the boat. Have no idea on the weight but from my view I would guess it was close to 4 ft. in diameter. Could hear them talking and they were guessing 200# but you know how fish stories go. It was definitely a big stingray and provided quite a battle. My fishing partner that day guessed closer to 100 and he fished quite regularly. Wish I would have made the catch.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hooked a ray in Belize one time. Eventually broke my line or I would have been spooled with my light gear. Those grubs don’t look so bad, but a few brews might need to be downed to get worked up to it. Happy travels.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74