Fargo Teachers and 630 behavioral incidents this year so far

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the teachers can’t do anything and the parents won’t do anything, this is what you get. I was more afraid of my parents hearing I cut up in school than anything.

The third check mark behind your name meant a call home. I got two a fair amount of times and three only once....

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the consequences for bad behavior? Rules must be accompanied by consequences.

Agree, but laws came out saying you cannot punish your kid anymore, and get charged with child abuse, You can no longer take a belt after them. How we were punished back in the 50's 60' 70's cannot be applied to day...pretty sad when a parent/teacher cannot draw the line on punishment.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Want some entertainment for a full day? Ask my brother, sister in law and my wife about their schools. Between an ED teacher, 4th grade teacher and middle school counselor, you'll walk away with a deep hatred for some "parents."

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should be president..I think I have a cure for all this garbage. Next year will be my 23rd year of teaching...I've seen it all I think. I even had conferences in jail with parents who requested them but couldn't get out...so I went in. Here's what I'd do if president (which will never happen-being president and/or making this rule happen) 1. Make a law that children have to attend church at least 2x per month until they're 18. You get fined x amount each time you miss. ( i know a lot of red tape for that but just play along) 2. All kids turning 18 have to serve at least 2 yrs in the military of their choice. Again...pipe dreams but I honestly feel if both of these were implemented our society may have a chance to return to the glory days or ww2. Fear of God and a little discipline and responsibility go a loooong way.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bad parenting is the big problem and is only going to get worse with millennials becoming parents. They can’t take care of themselves and are very narcissistic. Yes people have lost their faith which leads to ever more poor parenting, by the biggest factor is getting parents to learn proper parenting skills. Not everyone gets a trophy and is a winner, you don’t need to go to college to be successful, we need to teach these kids that their lives are valuable and show them why they need to contribute to society

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The breakdown of society %100 has to do with politics. Remove God, cause division by giving everyone a label, teach white kids to feel guilty about being successful and tell them they are racist because they are white(if that isn’t racist I don’t what is). Homosexuality is A OK. And so is killing babies. Everyone gets a trophy. Men are pigs and women don’t need no stinken man. Call peaceful religions intolerant and intolerant religions peaceful, make them feel entitled to everything and hate successful people. The list goes on and on. The coming generations are destined to failure, liberal teachers, which most are and becoming, are literally teaching our kids to fail. My son tells me when they have an active shooter drills they teach the kids to lock the door and crouch in a corner. Seriously!?! Break the f-ing window and get the hell out of there.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I came from industry into education (high school teacher) and have lots of family in education. Having graduated 20 years ago, the changes that have occurred are incredible. The educational world that I grew up in has so drastically changed. And for those of you who maybe are out of school even longer, you have no idea.

South Carolina Men's BB Coach Frank Martin has a famous quote from a few years ago- "You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven't changed. Kids don't know anything about anything. We've changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is about. We're the one's that have changed."

I agree for the most part with what he said. Bottom line, it starts with parenting. Teaching your child to be a good person, first and foremost, is the job of the parent. Has that gotten more difficult than in the past? I would say absolutely. Children face an enormous amount of pressure today compared to yesteryear. Let's just start with academic standards. If you think the expectation of what you were expected to know at any grade level compared to now is the same, you are mistaken. While the basics of ABC's, multiplication tables, etc. are all the same, the expectations are much higher overall. Kids are expected to know more, right or wrong. Now let's add in all the other dynamics. Family structures today are more broken than in the past. It is incredible to see how many students come from split families or single parents. And the majority of parents both work. Now, let's add in the fact that we've got a multitude of things to do. We play soccer 5 seasons a year from 4 years old on. We play basketball, traveling teams, from when we learn to do. Gymnastics 3 hours a day 4 nights a week. Etc. etc. etc. We stretch our kids really thin at a young age, then expect them to be perfect at school when they've been going non-stop. Finally, add in the technology aspect. These kids have been entertained since before they could talk. Constant stimulation. We're just now seeing generations of kids who grew up fully with handheld devices. None of us have any idea on what effects their brain development has changed due to this. As parents, we have to recognize the challenges that our kids face and prepare them for it, that is our responsibility. We need to create good human beings who can excel in school, provide them with a structure, allow them to grow through REASONABLE extra curricular activities, and make sure that they can manage technology efficiently. Kids are kids, they don't know otherwise and only react to what they see and know. Parents have to paint the picture for them.

One of the biggest issues I see that ties to this is parents will not allow their children to fail. Failure is good! They need to fail early when the consequences are low versus later in life when the consequences and costs are much higher. That is why giving everyone a ribbon, or not keeping score, or complaining to a principal that your student got detention totally defeats all purpose. Kids need to understand that and by taking away failure we deprive them of a serious life skill. When you get them out of every tight spot or jamb or difficult situation, you handicap them forever.

I don't agree with bringing politics or religion into it. Good human beings are good human beings, regardless of what church they go to or what side of the ballot they check. Both are very polarizing right now and I see students who walk a line one side or the other just because it's "cool" to wear a MAGA hat or wear the rainbow colors. Kids are hanging today on the drama of the issue rather than the issue itself, and that is very unfortunate. I don't care what side you're on, look at the issue, defend your position, but treat the other side with respect and courtesy that a good human would do. It's easy for most of us to laugh this off, but come into a school in the Dakotas as a Muslim or HIspanic and I think your views might change a bit.

Bottom line is make good human beings. That is the job of the parents and because that isn't happening, issues listed in the article will only keep increasing.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As a 35 year old dad of a 7 year old boy and 5 year old girl I would say that it is 80% parents. And most of that is attributed to laziness. With video games, internet, ipads, and all this technology lazy ass parents buy all this shit for their kids so they can sit on the couch all day and not have to "watch" or "babysit" their kids and let them do what they want. This attributes to a lot of these problems. Decision making is at an all time low with parents. They are getting lazier and dumber. Same reason you see 200 kids on the playground at recess it is 42 degrees and windy. Most of the kids have their coats on, some have hats and gloves then you get little Jimmy and Timmy who have shorts on and T-shirts. WTF are parents thinking? Laziness, stupididty? I don't know the answer but all of this foolishness starts at home and develops into problems when you get older. If you are too lazy to tell your kid to put his coat on or are dumb enough to think he doesn't need one how is he going to be something other than an ass-hat as he/she matures. The older I get the more and more I understand that your children are a direct reflection of how you raise them.

And don't get me started on video games and the internet. The stuff I hear from my 7 year old talking to his friends about what they play blows my mind. My kid is not getting one until he is old enough to know better and can afford it himself. Until then he gets a bike, baseball mitt, and fishing pole and tackle box like I did. Id rather him catching walleyes and hitting singles and thinking he missed out rather than turning into a little asshole.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many parents these days refuse to believe their child is at fault, ever. These is where the problem starts for the kids and then the grow up feeling "entitled".

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Many parents these days refuse to believe their child is at fault, ever. These is where the problem starts for the kids and then the grow up feeling "entitled".

I forgot this part. This is also a huge problem. Blame the school, blame the teacher, blame everything but the behavior the kids were taught at home.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems to me most parents try raise friends not kids. I also notice a lot never leave home or are 30 years old and still go on vacations with there parents. Most people my age moved out right after high school because living with your parents meant a shitload of work.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spare the rod , spoil the child. Ma Ma never used a rod but she had an old 12" wooden spoon with half the spoon end broke off. It would get you thinking straight right now.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I came from industry into education (high school teacher) and have lots of family in education. Having graduated 20 years ago, the changes that have occurred are incredible. The educational world that I grew up in has so drastically changed. And for those of you who maybe are out of school even longer, you have no idea.

South Carolina Men's BB Coach Frank Martin has a famous quote from a few years ago- "You know what makes me sick to my stomach? When I hear grown people say that kids have changed. Kids haven't changed. Kids don't know anything about anything. We've changed as adults. We demand less of kids. We expect less of kids. We make their lives easier instead of preparing them for what life is about. We're the one's that have changed."

I agree for the most part with what he said. Bottom line, it starts with parenting. Teaching your child to be a good person, first and foremost, is the job of the parent. Has that gotten more difficult than in the past? I would say absolutely. Children face an enormous amount of pressure today compared to yesteryear. Let's just start with academic standards. If you think the expectation of what you were expected to know at any grade level compared to now is the same, you are mistaken. While the basics of ABC's, multiplication tables, etc. are all the same, the expectations are much higher overall. Kids are expected to know more, right or wrong. Now let's add in all the other dynamics. Family structures today are more broken than in the past. It is incredible to see how many students come from split families or single parents. And the majority of parents both work. Now, let's add in the fact that we've got a multitude of things to do. We play soccer 5 seasons a year from 4 years old on. We play basketball, traveling teams, from when we learn to do. Gymnastics 3 hours a day 4 nights a week. Etc. etc. etc. We stretch our kids really thin at a young age, then expect them to be perfect at school when they've been going non-stop. Finally, add in the technology aspect. These kids have been entertained since before they could talk. Constant stimulation. We're just now seeing generations of kids who grew up fully with handheld devices. None of us have any idea on what effects their brain development has changed due to this. As parents, we have to recognize the challenges that our kids face and prepare them for it, that is our responsibility. We need to create good human beings who can excel in school, provide them with a structure, allow them to grow through REASONABLE extra curricular activities, and make sure that they can manage technology efficiently. Kids are kids, they don't know otherwise and only react to what they see and know. Parents have to paint the picture for them.

One of the biggest issues I see that ties to this is parents will not allow their children to fail. Failure is good! They need to fail early when the consequences are low versus later in life when the consequences and costs are much higher. That is why giving everyone a ribbon, or not keeping score, or complaining to a principal that your student got detention totally defeats all purpose. Kids need to understand that and by taking away failure we deprive them of a serious life skill. When you get them out of every tight spot or jamb or difficult situation, you handicap them forever.

I don't agree with bringing politics or religion into it. Good human beings are good human beings, regardless of what church they go to or what side of the ballot they check. Both are very polarizing right now and I see students who walk a line one side or the other just because it's "cool" to wear a MAGA hat or wear the rainbow colors. Kids are hanging today on the drama of the issue rather than the issue itself, and that is very unfortunate. I don't care what side you're on, look at the issue, defend your position, but treat the other side with respect and courtesy that a good human would do. It's easy for most of us to laugh this off, but come into a school in the Dakotas as a Muslim or HIspanic and I think your views might change a bit.

Bottom line is make good human beings. That is the job of the parents and because that isn't happening, issues listed in the article will only keep increasing.

I personally agree with this statement. The only thing I would add is to teach your kids to think for themselves and don't just raise mini me's. For as long as I can remember I've seen most parents, specifically dads, try to raise miniature versions of themselves. You may think you are so awesome that your kid should be just like you but what you are doing is unintentionally raising a follower. If you engrain the idea that your kid should think for themselves at a young age you will be doing a huge service for your kids to deal with their future. If you try to raise your kids to think just like you, they will most likely spend their entire life subconsciously acting like sheep and looking for reasons to reiterate that "their way" of thinking about issues is the right way. A parents job isn't to be your kids friend, it's to prepare them to be able to deal with the reality of life.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Start the Draft again, biggest problem solved

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spare the rod , spoil the child. Ma Ma never used a rod but she had an old 12" wooden spoon with half the spoon end broke off. It would get you thinking straight right now.

I also fell victim to the wooden spoon! After a while it didn't hurt anymore and I'd just laugh. Big mistake because the hair brush in moms purse over the head hurt way worse than that sissy spoon! Oh the good ole days when u could discipline ur kids! Now if u look at ur kid wrong in the grocery store and some sissy bitch that never once got a spanking sees it, ur ass could be in trouble!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80