Spruce tree issues????

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so I have a pretty fair number of good sized (15-35 ft) tall spruce trees in my yard that a couple of are exhibiting some kind of disease or ???? problems. Any arborists among us that have an idea of what may be affecting this tree?
tree1.jpg
This is another pic of the same tree, just from a few feet away which gives a little better view of how widespread it is on this tree.

tree4.jpg

A different tree that's a ways away of the above one is showing some real needle damage on the most recent (last year's growth).

tree6.jpg

Here's a close-up of the needles on tree #1. I personally don't see the black spots the web said to look for to positively ID this as the fungus the below responses talk about, but everything else is sure on target. Damnit!

tree5l.jpg

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rhizosphaera Needle Cast maybe. Look with a magnifying glass for black spots on the needles. At the moment I forget what I sprayed mine with, but four trees only used four ones. Ten years ago a gallon of the spray was $130. Expensive crap and I still have most of it left.

Spruce are subject to a number of fungal diseases especially if their beaches hang and touch the ground. Trim them so air flow is better.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't see the pictures but alot of spruce had gotten various degrees of winter burn this winter. It happens because of dry conditions going into dormancy and is most noticeable on the south side of the tree. If it's not severe the affected needles will die but the new buds will still grow. If the damage was bad the tree may not be saved.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I got for pictures to, is a little square with an X. Best thing for any pine\spruce trees is insecticide and fungicide.

Go to your local agronomy center and buy this in a 2.5 Gallon jug, it will be a lot cheaper then buying at a garden center or Wally world or Menards.

As far as a fungicide, I'm not knowledgeable on with ones that are labeled on evergreens. Anyone else know what kind to use on trees?

Last edited:

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chlorothalonil, active ingredient in Daconil, or Bravo from the ag store. Fungicide for spruce trees.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind, fungicides are a preventative thing and not a cure. I don't know that much about trees, but when it comes to crops, if the plant is already diseased, the fungicide won't cure the impacted plants.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I updated the pics in the original post, that should help you guys see the pics.

Overall, I think you have steered me in the right direction and I'll seek out some anti-fungal help later on today and try to get it applied as we dry out this coming weekend (I hope).

Damnit anyways!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I drive through north Bismarck I am amazed at how popular the evergreens are - and how well they do. What type of tree are the 100,000 trees in NE Bismarck? Would they do well in western ND too?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black Hills spruce trees and Colorado Blue Spruce are the two most common I see around Bismarck. Sounds like the Norway Spruce is more tolerant/resistant to this fungus though, and that will be a consideration for me going forward.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so next dumb question. I have backpack, handheld, and a 15 gallon spot sprayer. None of which are likely to reach very far up a 30+ ft tall tree. So what's a good sprayer for reaching up to the tops of trees?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess my spot sprayer is supposed to almost reach 30 ft, I'll have to put the gun back on it. Who knew?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
My backpack sprayer gets quite high when you spray using a stream. Id check for mites, they are the bane of many evergreens. There are some systemic insecticides available that dont need the entire plant to be covered to be effective, some aint cheap tho.... Ive used this in the past with good results, DO NOT USE on edible plants tho.

https://www.domyown.com/forbid-4f-ornamental-insecticide-miticide-p-2332.html

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My backpack sprayer gets quite high when you spray using a stream. Id check for mites, they are the bane of many evergreens. There are some systemic insecticides available that dont need the entire plant to be covered to be effective, some aint cheap tho.... Ive used this in the past with good results, DO NOT USE on edible plants tho.

https://www.domyown.com/forbid-4f-ornamental-insecticide-miticide-p-2332.html

I've used systemic to combat birch borers before, it's kinda like renting your tree. With the number and size of my pines and spruces, systemic would be quite expensive.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74