New Motor - Break In Service

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The new Lund has the Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 stroke on it. I've followed the manual with regards to cycling thru the rpm range during the first 10 hours, but it does not state a "break in" service is required at 10 or 20 hours? I've read a few different forums regarding this topic...some folks say a break in service should be done no later than 20 hours...both the motor and lower unit oil should be changed. Thought I'd ask the experts...thanks gents!

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
First service for my 200l4 verado was 20hrs. But took my boat in early about 15hrs due to a few tournaments back to back.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's just money, and if it helps you sleep better at night...it's money well spent.

Let's face it, the logic behind a break-in service job is to remove the small filings that were expected to be generated as parts wore fast during the break-in period. I believe the much higher tolerances and metallurgy used today in an engine have somewhat minimized the generation of these small filings. Secondly, that is the point of the oil filter in the first place...to remove from circulation the small cuttings. And in the lower unit, that's the job of the magnetic plug.

One should note that on my most recent vehicle purchase (about 4 years ago), I specifically asked about this at the dealership and they said no. The first oil change was meant to be done at 10k. So it would seem that at least Toyota is no longer a believer in an oil change immediately after a prescribed break-in period, and they're kinda known for long-lasting engines.

And, of course, when all else fails...the owner's manual should list the intervals for servicing.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kinda what I was thinking Allen...thanks. As you said, I think with the technology today guessing there is not much in the way metal flakes/filings...but in the end may have them do the service anyway...I really like sleeping well and dreaming about scratching 50mph! Thanks again...

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am hitler about break-in procedure and fluid change at 10 hours. The money these things cost a few hundred $$ is well worth the potential hassle. For me it is more peace of mind to pass on to the next owner each fall when I sell. I also have it done at a Merc. certified dealer so there is record of the work done.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my thought is that the less often the numbskulls that do oil changes touch my vehicles, the better

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
my thought is that the less often the numbskulls that do oil changes touch my vehicles, the better

I have thought this way for a long time, changed the oil on everything I own for years because I didn't trust anyone else to do it. But then I found a place to get my oil changed in my vehicles, that can do it for less then I can buy oil and a filter. I keep the receipts and decided if shit happens to my motor they will be liable for whatever happens to it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got old to and with age a little more funds in the check book.
Just loss interest in doing it myself anymore.
db

- - - Updated - - -

However this spring i did change in lawnmowers, rotary tiller, bike, oil in gas on chain saw and blower and shortly will change in my boat and my 97 Cumming Dodge, 5 speed, 4.10 gears and postive traction all around (still no chevy or ford takers). Then in my 77 Cutlass but no to my wifves car and my other Dodge pu. (done did retire so need to find things to do)

And years ago when I lived at home I did change every 1000 miles on my car with my dad's Farmers Union oil. Back then I too did believe in changing often (dad's oil) as one should today also, but the few new guns I have bought never did break in those and for me they shoot just fine today. db

- - - Updated - - -

My first car a 52 Buick super (50 bucks), well after 15 minutes of running the oil got hot enough that the lifters quit working so it took for ever to get that 1000 miles on it.

But I was also took the oil at the factory is a break in oil and not to change before the manual say so. If I was still in to this I would change earlier but try and put same oil back in. db

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am assuming to keep it good with the warranty you better do it. my outboard --- the book said drive it like you stole it.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hoping to get the boat out 3-4 times in the next week...think we'll just get her serviced. Few hundred dollars worth the peace of mind to me...plus if all goes well this year, I'll be close to 100 hours on her by November!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoping to get the boat out 3-4 times in the next week...think we'll just get her serviced. Few hundred dollars worth the peace of mind to me...plus if all goes well this year, I'll be close to 100 hours on her by November!

if things keep going weather wise like the start of this year --- one will have to bust ice by October and it will be sitting by November. I think we may have to bust ice this weekend.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
if things keep going weather wise like the start of this year --- one will have to bust ice by October and it will be sitting by November. I think we may have to bust ice this weekend.
Bite your tongue Short...c'mon man...the power of positive thinking! Actually...unless something changes, lookin like Saturday only "nice" day in the forecast. I'm still gonna try to get out Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon...the wife is out of town...so I have no excuse for not putting more hours on the new motor!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55