Hulu + Live vs. Cable

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hulu live just went up ten bucks to 54.99 which is a bummer, so with that and Midco internet I'm at about $118 a month. I believe I cut the cord when my Midco got up to about $145...that was with no extra channels nor a DVR. I get a few more sports channels and a DVR with Hulu. I've been happy with it. Nice to be able to watch it on your phone on a boring road trip or on a computer at work or if visiting relatives that don't have cable. I also use the firestick...have heard good things about roku's as well.

I've heard good things about youtube tv as well; there are lots of good pieces of information out there to compare streaming services as there are quite a few now. Whether you want sports or local tv or not is one of the big factors.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
My family cut the cord from digital cable in May and now use BEK’s lowest price internet service coupled with Hulu Live and Amazon Prime TV. The wife picked up a couple Firesticks from Amazon and we use those, even on our smart TV’s, because the Firestick can get a couple apps for kids shows our smart TV’s wouldn’t. All said and done we are saving about $100/month. Not once have we regretted the decision to cut the cord.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have been off DirectTV now for over a year. I initially was sold on Direct now (their streaming service) when I told them I was going to switch to Hulu or Sling. They told me I would absolutely get all of my local channels and that was not the case. Ended up buying a digital antenna and getting rid of cable.

We still pay for Prime and Netflix, also activated the free year of Disney+ via VZW . We do mooch off my mom's regular Hulu occasionally and have a Showtime account we are going to cancel. Only thing I miss is getting Monday Night Football but I can still watch on my phone with the NFL app.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone play around with their zip code to get better/ more local channels. I live out of the FSN area but would really like to get that channel again. Can I just put in a ND area code?

- - - Updated - - -

We have been off DirectTV now for over a year. I initially was sold on Direct now (their streaming service) when I told them I was going to switch to Hulu or Sling. They told me I would absolutely get all of my local channels and that was not the case. Ended up buying a digital antenna and getting rid of cable.

We still pay for Prime and Netflix, also activated the free year of Disney+ via VZW . We do mooch off my mom's regular Hulu occasionally and have a Showtime account we are going to cancel. Only thing I miss is getting Monday Night Football but I can still watch on my phone with the NFL app.
You can also watch Monday night football on your yahoo fantasy football app if you have it. You can broadcast it to your tv with a iPhone to hdmi adapter.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm 33 years old and I feel like I'm being left in the dust in terms of technology.

Me too. Well, I'm not 33 any more. Been a couple years since.

You just have to hang on until Merick is about 12. From there on out, he'll do this type of stuff for you.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
YouTubeTV is 10 times better than Hulu Live, IMO.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are trying to figure out options other than Direct TV but as of now for us beings we just use our phones for internet. Next year could be interesting when we move because there is no good internet as of now out there, fiber optic is being placed but nothing is split off yet to homeowners. Direct TV is just really starting to aggravate me

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me too. Well, I'm not 33 any more. Been a couple years since.

You just have to hang on until Merick is about 12. From there on out, he'll do this type of stuff for you.

A couple more years and my 8 year old will be running the show when it comes to that stuff.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally I like the simplicity more. You open it up to three options, Library, Home, Live TV guide. The live guide is much simpler to use, much like satellite TV. When adding shows to your library you can view all past shows with ads, but once it is added any future episodes you view will be commercials you can fast forward thru. The price is $50 right now, but I'd personally pay $10 more than the Hulu price just out of simplicity and ease of use.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I like the simplicity more. You open it up to three options, Library, Home, Live TV guide. The live guide is much simpler to use, much like satellite TV. When adding shows to your library you can view all past shows with ads, but once it is added any future episodes you view will be commercials you can fast forward thru. The price is $50 right now, but I'd personally pay $10 more than the Hulu price just out of simplicity and ease of use.

Thanks....
Just compared the two and looks like you get 68 channels with Hulu Live vs 76 on Youtube TV. Biggest thing of note for me is you get AMC with Youtube but not Hulu. And Youtube will now be $5 cheaper after Hulu's price increase.
Guess I should return the two Firesticks I just bought as I thought I read somewhere that Youtube TV doesn't work on those?

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
[MENTION=4956]BRK[/MENTION] , if you DVR a show on Youtube TV can you fast forward through the commercials?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
@BRK , if you DVR a show on Youtube TV can you fast forward through the commercials?

Yes, if it's not in their "On Demand" lineup. If it's offered "On Demand" it will default to that vs your recording, and you will have to watch the commercials...... Just read that shit about 10 minutes ago in the FAQ.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, if it's not in their "On Demand" lineup. If it's offered "On Demand" it will default to that vs your recording, and you will have to watch the commercials...... Just read that shit about 10 minutes ago in the FAQ.

Sure sounds like Youtube TV is the way to go.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks....
Just compared the two and looks like you get 68 channels with Hulu Live vs 76 on Youtube TV. Biggest thing of note for me is you get AMC with Youtube but not Hulu. And Youtube will now be $5 cheaper after Hulu's price increase.
Guess I should return the two Firesticks I just bought as I thought I read somewhere that Youtube TV doesn't work on those?

That issue got fixed in September. There was a "workaround" before that, but it's much better now that it works the right way.

- - - Updated - - -

When I watch on my firesticks, you can pick which recording you want to watch of a certain episode. When you select an episode there is an option you can scroll down to that says choose recording. Make sure you pick the DVR recording and you can skip commercials. The only network that is a pain is CBS. They try to force you to watch the on demand recording and watch commercials. My only way around that is to watch the show at the same time it is DVR recording. If I start watching 20 minutes or so after it starts, I can FF through the commercials. If I wait until the show is over, it won't even let me use the DVR recording.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks....

Do your Firestick remotes have volume control on them? If so then you should be compatible with Youtube TV. The first gen Firesticks (no volume control) are not suppose be compatible (read that somewhere). Youtube TV has only been available on Firesticks for a couple months now after Amazon and Google came to an agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you get local channels with Youtube. Correct Me if I am wrong.

Local channels are available on the paid subscription Youtube TV (not on regular Youtube). There might be some markets that you can't get them in but I live near Fargo and get all the Fargo local channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX). Also get Fox Sports North. You can check your zip code here: https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do have the gen 2 Firsticks so I should be good to go with YouTube TV.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I get the Fargo local channels in Jamestown and you guys beat me to the punch of DVR stuff. I have 3 or 4 firesticks and use YoutubeTV on all of them. There was a period of blackout, but once it became an app with Amazon again I switched immediately.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get the Fargo local channels in Jamestown and you guys beat me to the punch of DVR stuff. I have 3 or 4 firesticks and use YoutubeTV on all of them. There was a period of blackout, but once it became an app with Amazon again I switched immediately.

Do you have an regrets going with Youtube TV?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76