Hulu + Live vs. Cable

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've been using Direct TV Now/ATT Now streaming for about a year. Runs $80/month, has DVR feature. Been very happy with it running on a Roku. Did need to put the digital antenna up in the attic with an amplifier however.

Get all the channels I want, combine that with the MLB.TV and NHL.TV subscriptions and I'm good. The thing I like best is when I travel for work, I have a Roku I take with me. Plug it in to the hotel room TV, hook to wifi and it's just like being at home.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Directv just dropped one of my fav channels that I've had since in came out in 2009 (MLB network) from our package so theyre basically wanting us to pay more than the $139/MO to go up another package to get it. This is after they fraudulently added HBO without consent to make up for the price of the bill going down because mlb extra innings fell off after season ended ($29/mo) and they've been charging us $17/mo for HBO since.
I worked for corporate att/dtv for a decade and buying directv was the worst decision EVER, a special kinda dumbass thinks it's a good idea to invest in a dying, antique product/technology.
Have had directv since the 90s, but change is a comin after this stunt.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up getting a free 2 week trial for Youtube TV to try it out. So far I like it enough to cancel my Dish network. It definitely doesn't have all the bells and whistles as Dish but that being said Youtube TV has everything we need and its $80-90 a month cheaper than Dish.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should do the same. It would save me around $120/month give or take, depending on what BS discounts have expired from DirecTV.

Any strings attached to the 2 week trial?

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been kicking the idea of dropping cable (Midco) and going with Hulu + for quite a while now. I bought a tv antenna to mount on the chimney here about a month ago but now feel kinda silly since it sounds like I probably didn't need that even for local channels since Hulu + already carries them. We pay a basic cable and wireless bill of $100, but not sure how much of that we would gain if we drop cable but keep the internet. Seems like they put a lot more of their stake into wireless now, making it not such a big hit if people drop their cable. Might just stick with the antenna.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
After cutting cable a year ago and using Roku for Hulu, Prime, Netflix and all the free channels stuff you get with Roku, not sure why anyone would want to pay for cable. I guess they must like spending extra money and wasting their time watching commercials. I personally hate commercials. But I guess everyone is different.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hulu, Prime and Netflix. That's enough TV for me and its much cheaper than Midco.

Biggest cost is the internet connection from Midco, but its very good and stable.

Oh, and I get Disney + free for a year through Verizon. Lots of options.

onpoint!

Established Member
just got notice from DTV that rates are going up in Jan. replied that if it goes up a nickel i'm out the very next day. actually, we're probably out either way... sounds like Hulu+ is my next move, and soon. i'd need to put up a real antennae this spring, tried the 'indoor' mat and it didn't work. need to reduce the time we spend watching the tube overall.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should do the same. It would save me around $120/month give or take, depending on what BS discounts have expired from DirecTV.

Any strings attached to the 2 week trial?

You just have to give credit card info because they will start billing you after the 2 week trial if you don't cancel it.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I officially cut the cord with Dish network. I highly recommend Youtube TV. My TVs aren’t smart TVs so I bought an Amazon Firestick for them. The firesticks are awesome, remotes are simple and easy to use. You have easy access to your apps (YouTube tv, Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus). I wish I would have gotten rid of Dish a long time ago.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I officially cut the cord with Dish network. I highly recommend Youtube TV. My TVs aren’t smart TVs so I bought an Amazon Firestick for them. The firesticks are awesome, remotes are simple and easy to use. You have easy access to your apps (YouTube tv, Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus). I wish I would have gotten rid of Dish a long time ago.

Your monthly cost went from what to what would you guess?

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My monthly bill with Dish was $135. YouTube TV is $50 a month.

Coalburner

Honored Member
Been using Hulu live for about 6 months - get all the Vikings games, twins games, Fox News, and a lot of college football games for 48 a month. I couldn’t be happier. Not too mention they have letterkenny on there.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
65DC9A62-70D6-400C-81B3-A33E6559F881.jpg

enjoy the show

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is my final. YouTube tv 55bucks shared (not cost)with my kids that don't live with me. Frndly tv 5.99 that has weather channel and 3 fishing channels and Hallmark for wifey , I steal Hulu from my daughter idk what she pays, and internet 59 bucks. Amazon prime tv mv for having a prime acct. Apple music with Verizon Amazon music with prime. By air about 15 channels with some duplicates Idk what am missing That's how we roll. Got rid Chromecast and use fire stick.

So what do I watch. Maybe 10 min a day on weather channel or mlf.

- - - Updated - - -

Always seems like mlfishing is on one of the three outdoor channels

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
We just switched to YouTubeTV. We did Sling for awhile, and did Hulu Live for awhile, and they are all good, in my opinion.

I like YouTubeTV the best, so we run that, plus regular Hulu for like $9.99/mo, plus Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

If it wasn't for the kids, I would probably just run Prime and YouTubeTV. I have to have my NBA on tv.

Other than that, watching hunting and fishing on YouTube gets my nod most of the time.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to ditch cable and get a cheaper alternative.
I need something with local channels for weather and news, and Fox news channel, as I like to watch Gutfeld.
Anyone have some magic service for me?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to ditch cable and get a cheaper alternative.
I need something with local channels for weather and news, and Fox news channel, as I like to watch Gutfeld.
Anyone have some magic service for me?
If you’re like me you’ll keep cable plus sign up for 700 streaking services and still feel like there isn’t shit to watch and taken advantage of

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75