Native Treaty Rights

TripleSK

Established Member
This particular case was concerning the Crow Tribe located in Montana and Wyoming. As I understand the ruling, members of this particular Crow tribe (not necessarily Rez residents) should all be afforded the rights granted under this particular treaty. There must be tens if not hundreds of different treaties between the United States and various Tribes throughout the country.

While I don't like the potential ramifications this decision may have for wildlife management, I do think the United States needs to honor any legal agreement they have entered into.

I dont think its going to be any worse than it is now, but it is true to the hundreds of different treaties. People are gonna cry around about it till they die and hold a grudge no matter what. It was ruled in court, and it was justified, let it be now.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well hope they are getting set up on the bison in yellowstone this weekend.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My fathers father was once scorned by an albino, I must be recognized and made whole by that group of ingrates

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Various treaties were agreed upon by the government and tribes. Are all parts of those treaties being followed or only the part that benefits either party? For example: Did some tribes agree to be able to hunt certain lands forever if they would agree to live on reservations? At the time of the treaties being signed I would assume that the majority of the members of the tribe were mostly 100% native. For most tribes that is no longer the case. Point of fact is that times change and so do the particulars of agreements.

I'm sure I'm not the only member of this site who owns farmland and have an agreement with a tenant to rent my land. He pays me a rate/acre to plant his crop and he is free to plant whatever he wishes as long as it is a legal crop and a crop that won't harm the land. It's not a forever agreement. Every so often the cash rent may change and either one of us might decide to no longer have this arrangement. When things change, so should agreements.

I know, this agreements (treaties) said "As long as the rivers flow" or some other wording. Most rivers no longer flow in the same manner as when the treaties were signed.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
good read wj and spot on! dealing with this BS here in central minn .I t gets worse as the courts favor the treaties from 1837 and 1855 give an inch they (natives) want more plus total disregard to our natual resourses.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long before the tribes set up a temporary tribal membership for a fee so that someone can join the tribe for say 2 weeks and they have the rights to hunt these lands? With limited tribal rights just the right to hunt or in some cases fish?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long before the tribes set up a temporary tribal membership for a fee so that someone can join the tribe for say 2 weeks and they have the rights to hunt these lands? With limited tribal rights just the right to hunt or in some cases fish?

Never

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tribal " rights/ treaties mean jack shit to them now.
Nuttn more than " we can win this" whilst throwing out trash and shooting up roadsigns on a driving rampage!
Their ( elders) would be apalled.:;:duel

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75