Keeping minnows more than 1 day

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just want to say thanks for all the minnow buckets I've collected from you over the years under all those docks.

The funny thing is i don't think I have ever purchased a minnow bucket. I think both that i have were found in ditches or washed up on shore.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep Cold, Air Bubblers and fresh water. I have found that once I hit the water, I change the water from the bait shop right away with lake water. Keeping lake water on them the remainder of the time seems to allow me to keep at least a week, tossing a few random dead ones as I find them. Im sure if I invested more effort and some sort of food I could go longer.

I do use an engel cooler.
I do think the new Frabill Bait Station is a better unit than the engel.

Plus, just noticed its on sale at scheels, both 120v cord and 12v cord included!

https://www.scheels.com/p/frabill-m...MI6YmAvIWw4gIViYbACh1PcATpEAQYASABEgLSJvD_BwE

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm going to buy a cheap cooler and get a bubbler and try that. I can add ice every so often

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that fancy Frabill bubbler bait station lasted 3 outings.
the aerator is fucking junk. The 13 quart model seems to be perfect for the fish house, I can plug it into the pickup to keep the bubbler going without running through a bunch of batteries, and the battery option seemed to last a long time, however the little pump they use in them to push air through the plunger failed after 3 uses. I wont run on the battery power at all, and when plugged in it has to be coaxed along on the high setting to even start and continue to run.

I will be buying the replacement bubbler for $30.00, and hope it at least last a couple seasons, rather than the 3 uses it gave me this time.

Anyone else have this issue? or am I just always lucky like this.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minnows = alot of fuss,summer buckets hanging on the dock were emptied by morning by otters or mink,usually otters tho,changed up the game for walleyes years ago,"crawlers" was/is the answer,either rig'em or a chunk for stink on a plastic done deal on lakes we fish.

winter minnows? a handful of snow now and then keep em alive but dead minnows is the norm on verticle jigs,pinch off the minnow head and get after it,keep the dead minnows is a small zip lock baggie,no bucket water splashing as you travel by utv or sled.just a thought.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Inexpensive air pump with tubing from an old aquarium that doesn't get used anymore because of the pain in the arse keeping fish in aquarium is a good choice also. Aquariums not properly kept up are the devil. Said a friend.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else notice the bubbler stones now days don't look like they are working but they must be because the minnows are still alive? This new pack of stones I bought don't give off bubbles but they must be allowing air thru them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the aerator is fucking junk. The 13 quart model seems to be perfect for the fish house, I can plug it into the pickup to keep the bubbler going without running through a bunch of batteries, and the battery option seemed to last a long time, however the little pump they use in them to push air through the plunger failed after 3 uses. I wont run on the battery power at all, and when plugged in it has to be coaxed along on the high setting to even start and continue to run.

I will be buying the replacement bubbler for $30.00, and hope it at least last a couple seasons, rather than the 3 uses it gave me this time.

Anyone else have this issue with these Frabill sonsabitches?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had the same thing happen to mine. Cooler is nice but the aerator is junk.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems that little motor they have to run the plunger is way under powered. Why do we Americans keep letting China stick it to us with their cheap inferior crap.

Run it for 20 minutes at a time, fine, let it run all night and it is just too much, and next thing it wont do anything.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes the frabill bubblers suck.

I'm still using an old one from at least 20 years ago that I don't even know the brand but she keeps on pumping.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have replaced 2 of them under warranty, i finally bought a different one battery only as a backup because i have had the aerator give out too many times. hopefully they will get something decent, You should call their customer service they probably will send you out a new one.(800) 226-9868

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran a plug in aquarium bubbler inside a cooler at home. I’ve had good luck with Baby Bubbles bubble boxes on the go. They last about 24hrs on 2 AA batteries. They are $5 a piece so I pick up a couple at a time with a big pack of AA’s.

Since then I went whole hog and built a home bait station. Sealed up a deep freeze and run a big canister filter along with a water chiller.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had the same problem, called Frabil and they sent a new one.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
My attached garage stays about 40 degrees. Old 40qt cooler and bubbler and I've never had a problem. I think the key is changing the water once a week and shit can anything that looks sick.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless shore fishing, I quit buying minnows from the middle of June to mid September. All crawlers and cranks in the summer. Cold water holds oxygen better, so it's much easier to keep alive in a bucket outside or in garage. I keep mine in an old fridge in garage with a cheap aerator. Right now my buckets aren't even freezing at night in my garage, as I'm not using fridge in winter. Dont try keeping too many also, that's one big mistake. At the camper, you have to use blocks of ice. The wind has destroyed a few buckets while camping.

4Buck

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems that little motor they have to run the plunger is way under powered. Why do we Americans keep letting China stick it to us with their cheap inferior crap.

Run it for 20 minutes at a time, fine, let it run all night and it is just too much, and next thing it wont do anything.

Well this isn't good news. Bought one last year and used it a couple 4 day weekends camping. Ran it for 4 days straight on 110 and 12volt and it worked great. Looks like I already used it to much.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74