Hunting Dog Injuries

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had German Shorthairs for 30+years, you always have injury issues with hunting dogs, it just happens. I had the worst one two weeks ago and thought for sure the outcome would be the worst with hopefully just a lost eye, but with the work of a great vet and a dog that let us treat her we saved the eye.

Her eye will not be completely back to normal but she actually has decent vision, hopefully it will improve a bit more but can definitely live with the outcome .

Pepper Eye.jpg Pepper Eye2.jpg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yikes! That will ruin your day...hopefully she recovers well.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ouch!!! Worse I had, my dog when I was a kid got into a porcupine, and it was bad. Had over a dozen quills stuck in her face. some deep enough the were in her gum line below the teeth. My dad took the pliers and removed them in the field.Same dog also got a sliver of wood in one of her paws. She didn't show any signs of injury for a couple of weeks. One day she starts limping a bit and couldn't figure it out. Took her to the vet. The piece of wood/thorn worked its way through her foot and was coming out the top and major infection. Fortunately a good vet and meds saved her foot. See your pictures bring back those memories. Hope your pooch is ok.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first GSP --- ripped her chest open on something or nother ---- we ran into garrison and stopped at a sewing shop (several years back). I bought some type of needle and thread (it wasnt circle but close). Anyway here we are on main street -- i stuck a stick in her mouth like you see on tv in old westerns and sewed it up. Of course you know a shorthair - they dont feel pain --- anyway i got her all sewed up and washed up. I know i should of glued it too -- but i didnt and later that afternoon she was swimming in sloughs you name it all to get a bird. Anyway -- knew somebody from the minot zoo who gave me some antis late that night --- couple weeks later i took out the stiches -- good as new. Dr. Shorthair !!!

- - - Updated - - -

damn!!!! that hurt, crazy how far that went

you would think that would of hit the brain -- or do they have one -- i wonder sometimes :)

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
[MENTION=229]DirtyMike[/MENTION] I saw that your lures can catch Vizslas as well?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
9E34ECF7-5B31-44B8-A454-D64EC64CA689.jpg [MENTION=629]eseamands[/MENTION] You're referring to the village idiot, AKA Wred. Yes, he decided to hop up on my workbench to steal a spoonful of ouch.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never understood why, in the old days, the nobles would have literal packs of dogs to hunt with. I realize packs of beagles are better for running fox, but why so many retrievers or pointers? Now I get it. The lifespan of these guys is seriously hindered by the dangers of their jobs. My guess is errant shots, sticks, and ornery predators could whittle down a guy's stock in short order, so he needed plenty of backups in supply to make it through the season.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
She turned out way better than I had hoped. The eye is a little out to the side, (mainly the third eyelid) and she she did lose a little vision but can still see out of it. It did not effect her nose one bit :)D), and she still has her drive to hunt.

Overall very lucky!
Pepper Eye3a.jpg
Pepper Eye4.jpg

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
gotta say that eye is probably the worst i've seen.

we've had a ton of run of the mill barbed wire fence, face or mouth full of quills, etc... type injuries. but my worst was when my springer took a sickle bar right smack dab in the middle of the chest at a full run. old farmstead, drop a rooster, and its clearly gonna be a runner. she took off on a dead sprint, hit something that stopped her dead in her tracks about half way there. she continued on to get the rooster and came back an absolute bloody mess. the pointy cutting tooth caught her right in the middle of the chest and pealed a big old triangle patch of skin, flesh and muscle right down her chest to abdomen. i was pretty sure she was gonna be dead. took her to the steele vet on a saturday afternoon. hadn't punctured anything. no broken bones and guts were in tack. just a real nasty looking surface wound. patched her up with a bunch of stitches, glue and a wrap. she would have hunted the rest of the weekend had i let her. dogs are tough. i think they lack pain receptors.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Amazing, really Amazing. Good for her and you, keep on the hunt. Maybe buy her some goggles.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to post this one every time an injury thread pops up. I thought he was going to bleed to death. Barbwire to the tongue (open mouth, full charge, tongue flailing en route to a falling rooster). Two punctures through the top and a scrape dead center on the bottom after he bounced off. I wish I would have taken another picture about 20 minutes later when it looked like he'd been painted red from his nose to his toes, but at the time I had a little Canon point-and-shoot and I'm pretty sure the batteries were dead.

bloody remy 1.jpg

bloody remy 2.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86