can I just put on 2 tires instead of all 4?

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blew out a rear tire on my Ram 1500 this weekend pulling the boat to the lake. I have about 26k on the original factory tires. Can I just change out the two rear ones? Or do I have to do all 4? I'm torn between cost vs. different brand. I really don't want the same Goodyear's, but I also don't want to drop $1000 right now on tires given it's a leased truck and I don't know what my end plan is. Plus not sure I can afford $800 to $1000 right now on good tires. Decisions, decisions.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check with the shop and see if they have a used one to buy. Lots of factory tires get replaced before they wear out.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The circumference of the tire is the important thing.

Try to get as close as you can to the two that are on there.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
tires dont need to match, but you want them to be the same circumference generally, good idea to measure one of your current tires and make sure the new one is close to the same. If they are much different I think it can cause issues with your 4wd or something...

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
With 27k on the tires and having a blow out.... can't you warranty the tire?

I guess I use the term "blow out" loosely. Appears it was a nail (or something sharp) in the tire that came out as I was driving. Lost air fast out of the nail hole.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I use the term "blow out" loosely. Appears it was a nail (or something sharp) in the tire that came out as I was driving. Lost air fast out of the nail hole.
You can't repair the tire?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you think a plug and/or patch would work? I've never plugged a tire. I've read some saying they may hold for a long time and others say don't do it.
Both, any tire shop can do it. Shouldn't cost more than $20.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
They will tell you if it can or cannot --- i have never had one say they couldnt and i have never had a plug come lose --- you can put one big screw in a tire and you would be surprised how many miles you can drive before it starts leaking air.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call United automotive tech center and ask for pat. It's right by jlbeers in West fargo, he's the man and has fixed plenty of tires for me.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've patched and plugged tons of tires... I've also replaced just 2 tires often... i try to stick with the same tires when i do just 2

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
fix the tire you have or find a used tire to put on if you can't fix it.

I change out the back tires on my older work pickup all the time and leave the fronts on till the next time. I pull trailers on gravel roads so my back tires get ate up quick. I never rotate my tires, i just rotate the rear ones into the garbage and put two new ones on the back as needed. Usually the fronts last twice as long so every other time I put 4 new ones on. Works fine for me.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the tire patched at Fargo Tire (was the closest to my work). $30. Hope it holds for another 20k! Honestly can say I've never had to patch or plug a tire before, so have been very lucky. Learning experience I guess.

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two tires at a time is fine if it's 4WD. I've done it on my 05 Chevy. Might be a problem for AWD if the circumference is too different from the old and new

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
You just haven't driven enough gravel, prairie trails, middle of fields, or building construction sites ;:;rofl
If there's homes, Apts, or commercial buildings being constructed on your daily commute i highly recommend finding an alternate route til it's completed..

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76