Helix 9

R@nger_BO@TS

Honored Member
We are looking at putting a helix 9 in are ranger, and we were wondering how the down and side imaging is and if we should go helix 9 our lowrance hds 9 and on the helix is it really as good as they say.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been running Helix 9s for 3 or 4 years. Make sure to get MEGA. I have been happy overall. Pricepoint vs the equivalent Lowrance is great, customer service is decent, and if set up properly it is amazing what the can reveal.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Any body have issues with batteries and running multiple units? I'm not sure I have not check my battery yet, but I was getting low voltage alarm a couple time last weekend. The big motor started up every time. They say that the unit should not be connected to the trolling motor batteries. I was running a single helix7 last year and I added another unit this spring. I was nervous and never did even turn on my second unit. My uncle also installed a 9 this spring and when he starts his big motor the helix turns off every time. Any one had that issue?

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Any body have issues with batteries and running multiple units? I'm not sure I have not check my battery yet, but I was getting low voltage alarm a couple time last weekend. The big motor started up every time. They say that the unit should not be connected to the trolling motor batteries. I was running a single helix7 last year and I added another unit this spring. I was nervous and never did even turn on my second unit. My uncle also installed a 9 this spring and when he starts his big motor the helix turns off every time. Any one had that issue?

Sounds like cranking battery is too small and/or going bad. I recently upgraded to a group 31 dual purpose and can run my 12 and 9 inch units for several hours with no voltage alarm and neither units turn off when the big motor starts.

R@nger_BO@TS

Honored Member
we have that problem to but dosent affect the motor and just turns off the finder sometimes

Last edited:

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure, but can a voltage alarm be set? It’d be nice for Mercury power steering, when just the kickers running , I run two helix’s

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Voltage alarm threshold can be set. I turned my off. Would go off sometimes when starting the battery. This was even with a new battery and heavy gauge wiring. I keep an eye on my voltage too make sure I don't get too low.

To the OP. Do you (or will you) run a Minn-Kota iPilot Link trolling motor? If so then Humminbird is definitely the way to go. If you do any trolling with a bow mount motor the iPilot link system is worth every penny.

R@nger_BO@TS

Honored Member
we do run a minnkota ipilot link and thank you we are almost for sure gonna go hummingbird now thx greatly appreciated

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have that problem to but dosent affect the motor and just turns of the finder sometimes
Go see jake at mild to wild/battery doc and get a crown group 29 or bigger starting battery. I ran group 24s and 27s interstates and Walmart brand energizer for years was having some of those issues even with two graphs. Put a new crown in an added a 3rd graph I have no voltage issues running all 3 and pumps.

sdtransplant

Established Member
i would check the battery, had the same problem with graphs shutting down when starting motor. turned out a weak cell in the battery, after5-6 hrs of running two units it pulled enough juice that opti would not turn over, get biggest battery that will fit tray.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75