Don't go down this road......

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 weeks to change plugs and still have same problem? Shoulda tried obd reader first.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you checked the coil packs yet? Was a common thing with those for each and everyone of them to go out.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back at it....OBD reader finally comes in....P2196 code...02 sensor signal\stuck rich bank1 sensor1
Read up on possible causes...ah...gonna have to do process of elimination as there are several possibilities as to what can be wrong.
Gonna be fun.
Just to summarize, before I change the plugs, my CEL was flashing, it no longer flashes, but stays on. backfires running at first, idles rough. No visible smoke.

I am suspecting the following.
-possible plugged cat
-vct solenoids are bad
-O2 sensor failure
-Maybe MAF sensor

I'm not sold on the injector being stuck open, the reason, no smoke out of the exhaust.

I read up on another site of a guy had a P2196 code, went to the extreme of putting a new motor in, reason he put new motor is was he had low compression, so he figured it was due, still got the same code, went through the process of elimination, checked everything, was stumped, then decide to just take the 02 sensor out, but leave it plug in.....viola...motor run fine, and no code...go figure.
Moral of the story: he had a bad catty converter.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is the 02 sensor. Plugged CAT at least years ago you would notice loss of power first and then it wouldn't run. Would think it would be the same today but maybe not. Still think it is the 02 sensor.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I often wish i knew or was taught from a young age more about diy vehicle repairs beyond changing the oil, fluids, rotating tires, etc (the standard maintence stuff). Buuuut then i read stuff like this and im sorta glad i just pay the repair shop, have my pickup back in a day with a warranty on work done.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just keep hearing Kenny Roger's in my head, "ya got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em......"

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I blown out five of the eight spark plugs in my 02 ford. super easy fix with the insert kit. Takes me less than half an hour to repair. Engineer should have been hung up by his nuts in front of the whole world

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
And....I got er rippin' today....................VCT Solenoid on Bank 1......I was actually under the truck messing with the 02 sensor, trying to excess the wiring connector and tried to loosen the sensor...that was a no go...decide to spray PB Blaster on it and let it sit. Back it out of the garage, cleared codes and re read the codes....ah...up pops up the P00012 code...but no P2196?....Well after I got get parts this AM (solenoid)...get to the garage...tried the reader one more time for shits and giggles..I like playing up electronic gadgets......up comes the P21296 code again..but no P0012 code. Change out the VCT Solenoid...voila.....no codes, runs fine, went for drive.. I wll be changing out the Bank 2 solenoid also.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75